Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicPolls & Surveys · 1 decade ago

Whats an environmental problem facing the world today other than Global Warming?

I have to write an assignment about environment problems facing the world today but I want really good points and a unique problem if you get the jist of what im saying i want one that no-one else will have

Favorite Answer

oops. global warming.. i guess everything contributes to Global warming, e,g. air pollution, green house effect,

The two main ones that I can think of are:

Deforestation of the worlds jungles, as many South American countries make way for new highway and housing projects, also many American pharmaceutical companies are destroying rare endangered plant species and the habitats of endangered animal life in the process.

Dynamite fisherman are destroying some of the worlds largest coral reefs throughout S.E Asia destroying the habitats of many rare reef species. The worst offender countries being Thailand, China, Indonesia, Malaysia, India, Myanmar, Singapore and the Philippines.

Many of these island Nations also have limited space so they float their garbage out to sea and dump it!. A real tragedy!

I would love to study Marine Biology. When I entered university, Marine Biology was not even a subject to study. I have a few degrees and none of them is in science. I so regret that. I'd say get a degree in science and then pick a subject to branch yourself out. Life began in the ocean around 3.5 billion years ago and the oceans are vast and wide areas to study. There are a lot of people who are raising awareness for the environment. Even politicians are doing that. You can study science and be an activist as well. If you are really strong in the subjects of science get yourself established first.

The problem of refuse disposal - it is a world wide problem. We are all creating more and more waste which is dumped in any large hole (usually former quarries and extinct open mines). These sites are rapidly filling and soon there will be nowhere to dump stuff.

• Taurus

Over population, use of nulcear energy as a fuel source (nuclear waste is a major problem so is the mining of uranium fuel), over using resources such as fish, forests, and land.

There is a Super Volcano underneath Yellowstone National Park. If that goes off, we will all die.

http://www.solcomhouse.com/yellowstone.htm

deforestation or the lack of trees in the forest, due to over harvesting. We lose over 100 acres of rain forest every day

• Doona

The unending spread of human beings.

• Carlos

pollution, damage to the ozone layer, spread of disease?, and bottled water!!

Desertification and/or water.