How do I keep my dog from eating trash?

In my neighborhood the trash is only collected once a week so sometimes I may have a bag full of trash next to the trash can because the outside trash can we have is full. Whenever I leave the house, I come back home to find trails of trash from the kitchen to the living room from the indoor feast that my dog... show more In my neighborhood the trash is only collected once a week so sometimes I may have a bag full of trash next to the trash can because the outside trash can we have is full. Whenever I leave the house, I come back home to find trails of trash from the kitchen to the living room from the indoor feast that my dog (Bichon Frise- Pierre) had while I was gone. When he heres me come home, he hides and will sit at the top of the steps because he knows what he did was bad. So if he knows its bad, why does he do it? He is a very needy dog as far as attention, and he gets pleanty of it. So I don't see why he would feel the need to do bad things. He gets fed regularly. How do I keep him from ripping holes in the trash bags and having a feast?
Update: Ok I keep reading all of the wonderful answers about crates... Well my dog LOVES his crate and goes in there when I'm not home, but if I leave a trash bag in the kitchen, he tears it to shreds and has a feast. Not all dogs do this, so how can I train him not to eat the trash if I'm not there to witness him... show more Ok I keep reading all of the wonderful answers about crates... Well my dog LOVES his crate and goes in there when I'm not home, but if I leave a trash bag in the kitchen, he tears it to shreds and has a feast. Not all dogs do this, so how can I train him not to eat the trash if I'm not there to witness him in the act? Cesare would have an answer, but I'm sure his services cost too much... so help me out guys!