Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicLyrics · 1 decade ago

Does Rammstein's song "du hast mean you have or you hate?

My german teacher told me the song was saying you have b/c haben means to have and hassen means to hate. the you form of haben is "hast" and im assuming that the you form or hassen is hasst or it has an esset replacing the ss's. on you tube they have half of the video in english and they are singing you hate. i am so confused b/c others might be singing the song for them.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

When Till is just saying "Du hast," it sounds as if he could either be saying "Du hast" (you have) or "Du hasst" (you hate). This is to give the song a double meaning, even though the official lyrics say "Du hast."

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

When Till is just saying "Du hast," it sounds as if he could either be saying "Du hast" (you have) or "Du hasst" (you hate). This is to give the song a double meaning, even though the official lyrics say "Du hast."

• 5 years ago

real true meaning song du hast rammstein2 ways

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

although du hast normally means you have, for some reason rammstein translate it to mean you hate. a bit weird isn't it?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Du hast means you have. You hate would be du haß.

Source(s): I have a minor in German.
  • 1 decade ago

it is not the whole sentence! Heres the german, followed by the english

Du...

Du hast...

Du hast mich...

Du hast mich...

Du hast mich gefragt...

Du hast mich gefragt...

Du hast mich gefragt und ich hab nichts gesagt.

You...

You have...

You have me...

You have me...

You have asked me...

You have asked me...

You have asked me before and I did not answer.

check this out for more info (about the play on the german wedding vows, etc)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Du_hast

• Ras
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

It means "you hate me." The song is based on traditional German wedding vows, twisted to a darker meaning. The vows say, "You have me." The song says, "You hate me."

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

You Hate Me Rammstein

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.