Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

How do I start writing a novel?

I'm really new at writing, but I'm educated in it and I know how to write and everything, but I just don't know where to start. I want to write a teen romance novel, and I usually start with an outline, but a small one at that, then a more detailed outline, a rough draft, then the final draft. But that was more of an essay or a short story with an assigned topic, so I really don't know where to begin. Should I use those methods, other methods, or should I just dive right in and start writing? HELP!

Best Answer

You start with your homework. A strong outline, detailed character studies and tons of research. You must become an expert on whatever it is you want to write about. To fake it cheats your readers, and they will know. No author just dives in. The prep work to write a novel takes several weeks to several months depending on the amount of research you need to do. I must tell you teen romance novels are becoming overkill and a lot of agents and publishers aren't reading them now. You are likely to spend a lot of time on the slush pile with a lot of other teen romance writers. Pax - C

What's the best thing for you? If you like to have a really vivid image of what you're going to write, you're probably an outliner. In my opinon, all novels need some type of outline. The amount of detail you put into the outline, though, is up to you. It all depends.

First, let me say, I've never completed a novel. I'm way too young to dedicate my time to writing. When I finish school, I'll be ready. So, first, be ready to take the time out to write. =)

Next. A teen romance novel ... If teens and romance are subjects you know well (from personal experience) and remember well (if you're not a teen at the moment), then the story will come from your heart. The most detailing in an outline you'll need to do will be characters and events. But the emotion behind it will come from you.

Research anyway. If your setting is a real location, research it. I like to make up cities, however, but I still need to be aware of the weather if the cities are north or south or east or west.

And don't make it a job. Put your heart in everything you write. Outlines are helpful, but don't restrain yourself to them. That's why this is "creative" writing. It's all you. The outline is like an assistant.

Best of luck!! Tell us when you're published!! (Teen romance happens to be a favorite of mine, so I'll definitely be interested.)

• G

Hey dude, just go ahead and write the short story that is clearly already in your head. If it turns out great, you can later add to the plot and expand it into a novel, or use the short story as a chapter in your novel later on (many novels start out as short stories). Take things one step at a time.

Also, make sure that each of your characters is very distinct and has their own personalities and idiosyncrasies. It sucks to read something where all the characters are essentially the same. And make sure you have some character development in there as well.

I don't know what your budget is, but I found this software very helpful http://www.newnovelist.com/ - it is about $55 and you can download it. I don't work for or have any connection to the company other than being a customer. The software takes you through the outlinging, chracter development, and story creation process in an easy to follow manner. If you have ideas but are just not sure of the structure this defintiely seemed to give me the missing framework that was needed.

Write down every idea tat hits ou, and if all else fails, write the ending and work your way backwards. That way you'll know all the twists and you just have to come up with the reasons for them. The hrdest part is making a good conclusion...go out with a bang.

It depends how long the book is going to be. But i'd sya to do that but when your doing the rough draft to make sure it's perfect and if it's not start over. If it's published I'll be so happy for you. Hope it works out.

before you even try writing, you should read The Elements of Style. it is a short, 86-page book that tells you everything you need to know about grammar for your work to sound good to the reader's ear.

you should also read On Writing by Stephen King. the first part is an autobiography about King's life, and the second part is a intruction manual that will tell you everything you need to know to write in any genre, not just horror.

he'll teach you very important writing techniques (such as avoiding adverbs and the passive voice) and how to write (by yourself, without any distractions, and the DOOR CLOSED).

and i'll tell you this: if you thought for one moment while you were reading my suggestion above "What? He wants me to sit down and read?" you probably shouldn't even bother trying to write. as King himself put it "To write well, you must read alot and write alot.

There's no other way.

Source(s): published author

It depends on the type of person you are. I usually just start writing bits and pieces and then I place some kind of storyline together.

Just go for it and see where it gets you.

THE BEST WAY TO WRITE IS TO HAVE A FIRM PREMISE KNOW WHAT YOU WANT TO SAY AND THEN KNOW HOW YOUR GOING TO SAY IT. IMPORTANT THINGS TO REMEMBER IS

1. ALWAYS WRITE AN SEQUENCE OF EVENTS AT THE SAME TIME DOESN'T HAVE TO BE IN ONE SITTING GO AWAY AND THINK ABOUT IT BUT YOU SHOULD KEEP IN MIND THAT IF YOU LEAVE THINGS FOR LONG PERIODS IT ALL BECOMES DISJOINTED. AT THE SAME TIME IF YOU GET STUCK BEST THING YOU CAN DO IS WALK AWAY YOU CANT MAKE IT COME.

2. DON'T SKIP ITS A HUGE MISTAKE TO CONSTANTLY RIGHT THE PARTS YOU FIND THRILLING TO WRITE AND IGNORE THE CONNECTING TEXT TO THE NEXT CHAPTER. (THE BORING PARTS LINKING THE EXSITMENT)

REMEMBER IF YOUR A CRITICAL PERSON YOU SHOULD AVOIDE SCRUTANY DRAFTS ARE OK BUT YOU HAVE TO PUT A LIMIT ON YOURSELF OR YOU'LL JUST KEEP WIRTING IT OVER AND OVER. WHEN EDITING YOURSELF FOCAS ON SPELLING AND GRAMMER BELIEVE IT OR NOT IT WILL KEEP YOU FOCASED.

3. FINALY AND THIS IS AN OPINON NOT AN ORDER LET THE BOOK FLOW THINK ABOUT IT AS IT GOES MAKE YOURSELF PART OF THE STORY. SOME WRITERS WRITE THE LAST CHAPTER FIRST BUT I DONT LIKE THAT IDEA. THINK ABOUT IT DO YOU READ THE LAST CHAPTER FIRST?

GO WITH YOUR INSTICTS AND GROW A THINK SKIN BECAUSE THERE IS ALWAYS SOMEONE WHO WONT LIKE IT AS LONG AS YOU FOCAS ON YOUR STORY AND YOUR TELLING OF IT YOU SHOULD BE FINE. BUT STAY AWAY FROM THE TEMPTATION OF ESSAY WRITTING ITS A DIFFERENT SORT OF WRITING I HOPE I HELP YOU IN SOME WAY GOOD LUCK

Source(s): I'M A ARTS STUDENT AND PUBLISHED WRITER