• Home & Garden >
  • Other - Home & Garden
  • Home & Garden >
  • Other - Home & Garden

Remedies for keeping flies away?

• Follow publicly
  • Follow privately
  • Unfollow
Any remedies for keeping flies away? I often like to keep the door (non-sliding) to my balcony open. The only thing is there is no screen so I hung up a lace curtain that looks ...show more
Best AnswerAsker's Choice
The water is a good idea. Flies are attracted to moisture.
This is sad but true. You know when on TV you see articles on starving people and they show video you see flies all over the people's faces, mouths and eyes? The flies are attracted to the mouth and eyes because it is the last place with moisture. :((
The only problem with putting the bag of water out is that you should refresh it daily or you will be creating a mosquito labor and delivery room in that bag!
You can also hang a few sprigs of fresh mint at the door or put a large mint plant there. That is what we always kept on the picnic table when I was a kid to keep them away.

Asker's rating & comment

5 out of 5
I'm gonna go move one of the pots of mint over there. Thanks.
  • 1
    0
  • Comment

Other Answers (3)

• Relevance
  • Rating
  • Oldest
  • Newest
  • earthwoman41 answered 8 years ago
    I can't imagine what a water filled plastic bag would do to keep flies away, and most other remedies are good only after the flies get into your home. There is a product available from some mail order companies that is basically a free hanging screen with weighted bottom and stiffened sides. It can be installed a couple of ways, but does not require a special frame. Like your curtain, it is just pushed aside to enter/leave and it falls back into place, but it does not blow in the breeze. They cost about $20 but last a long time. Try Miles Kimball or look for mail order catalogs on line. good Luck
    • 2
      0
    • Comment
  • Davina Son;; answered 8 years ago
    Fly Swatter:D
    or try a fly zapper;DDD
    or you could buy those fly catchers that flies stick to.
    Or you could try nailing the sheet type thing down so it doesn't fly in.
    • 2
      0
    • Comment
  • 1 answer hidden
  • fatima_feb25 answered 8 years ago
    do not know
    • 0
      3
    • Comment
  • Remedies for keeping flies away?
    Any remedies for keeping flies away? I often like to keep the door (non-sliding) to my balcony open. The only thing is there is no screen so I hung up a lace curtain that looks pretty and keeps a lot out of the apt. but when the wind blows the flies can get in and then I cannot get them out.

Are there any remedies that you know of to keep them away? I heard that in Portugal they keep plastic bags filled with water up by windows and doorways to keep them at bay and it supposedly works. Anyone have experience with that?

I am open to most anything. Last year I lived in the same complex and only had cluster flies (they like to cluster and hang out on windows)-- they were easy to take care of, I just vacuumed them up with my handheld vacuum and released them outside.
    Sign In 

to add your answer

Who is following this question?

%
    BEST ANSWERS
    Member Since:
    Points: Points: Level
    Total Answers:
    Points this week:
    Follow

Unfollow

Block

Unblock