Remedies for keeping flies away?

Follow
  • Follow publicly
  • Follow privately
  • Unfollow
Any remedies for keeping flies away? I often like to keep the door (non-sliding) to my balcony open. The only thing is there is no screen so I hung up a lace curtain that looks ...show more
Best AnswerAsker's Choice
The water is a good idea. Flies are attracted to moisture.
This is sad but true. You know when on TV you see articles on starving people and they show video you see flies all over the people's faces, mouths and eyes? The flies are attracted to the mouth and eyes because it is the last place with moisture. :((
The only problem with putting the bag of water out is that you should refresh it daily or you will be creating a mosquito labor and delivery room in that bag!
You can also hang a few sprigs of fresh mint at the door or put a large mint plant there. That is what we always kept on the picnic table when I was a kid to keep them away.

Asker's rating & comment

5 out of 5
I'm gonna go move one of the pots of mint over there. Thanks.
  • 1
  • Comment

Other Answers (3)

Rated Highest
  • Rated Highest
  • Oldest
  • Newest
  • earthwoman41 answered 7 years ago
    I can't imagine what a water filled plastic bag would do to keep flies away, and most other remedies are good only after the flies get into your home. There is a product available from some mail order companies that is basically a free hanging screen with weighted bottom and stiffened sides. It can be installed a couple of ways, but does not require a special frame. Like your curtain, it is just pushed aside to enter/leave and it falls back into place, but it does not blow in the breeze. They cost about $20 but last a long time. Try Miles Kimball or look for mail order catalogs on line. good Luck
    • 2
    • Comment
  • Davina Son;; answered 7 years ago
    Fly Swatter:D
    or try a fly zapper;DDD
    or you could buy those fly catchers that flies stick to.
    Or you could try nailing the sheet type thing down so it doesn't fly in.
    • 2
    • Comment
  • fatima_feb25 answered 7 years ago
    do not know
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • Sign In 

to add your answer

Who is following this question?

%
    BEST ANSWERS
    Member Since:
    Points: Points: Level
    Total Answers:
    Points this week:
    Follow

Unfollow

Block

Unblock