I can't hear anything from my desktop speakers or headphones?

I thought because the volume was mute, but when I clicked on the volume control, this message appears: 'There are no active mixer devices available. To install mixer devices, go to Control Panel, click Printers and Other Hardware, and then click Add Hardware. This program will now close.' Nothing... show more I thought because the volume was mute, but when I clicked on the volume control, this message appears:

'There are no active mixer devices available. To install mixer devices, go to Control Panel, click Printers and Other Hardware, and then click Add Hardware.

This program will now close.'

Nothing happened when I followed those directions. I can't hear sound from my desktop music, from website music. All of the above.

Any help would be very much appreciated.
Update: Sorry.. I'm kind of a computer illiterate. But the type of system I have is a:

Windows XP
Home Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 1
Update 2: Oh noo! I have to reboot my computer, really? ):
Update 3: OMG ! I FIXED THE PROBLEM GUYS ! Thanks for all of your help and thank god I didn't have to reboot my computer! Well, all I did was right-click on My computer. Went to properties, went to Hardware, then clicked on Add Hardware Wizard, and re-installed Media Control Devices, and it works perfectly now. I... show more OMG ! I FIXED THE PROBLEM GUYS !

Thanks for all of your help and thank god I didn't have to reboot my computer! Well, all I did was right-click on My computer. Went to properties, went to Hardware, then clicked on Add Hardware Wizard, and re-installed Media Control Devices, and it works perfectly now.

I guess I'm not a computer illiterate after all (:

But thanks guys!