MS
MS asked in Beauty & StyleSkin & BodyTattoos · 1 decade ago

Using a waterproof bandage for swimming after getting a tattoo?

I'm planning to get a tattoo this weekend, but realized that I have to take my daughter to her swim classes next week. They are only 30 minutes long, but I know the tattoo shouldn't be in the pool then. Is it okay to use a waterproof bandage (not a liquid one of course) for that short a period of time?

Just to add - these are medical waterproof bandages that are designed to keep things like wounds from getting wet. I'm not talking about a Band-Aid that's designed to stay on in the water. These bandages work to keep water and chemicals out.

My concern was with the fact that I know they have to breathe, but whether that short a period of coverage would be damaging to that.

• rua_88
    Favorite Answer

you should be fine as long as the tattoo does not go in the water or get wet... just put something over it.. a waterproff bandade would work or a gause with tape over it

• linzey

Waterproof Bandages For Swimming

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I'm planning to get a tattoo this weekend, but realized that I have to take my daughter to her swim classes next week. They are only 30 minutes long, but I know the tattoo shouldn't be in the pool then. Is it okay to use a waterproof bandage (not a liquid one of course) for that short a...

Source(s): waterproof bandage swimming tattoo: https://tr.im/VOoRh

i dont think so becuase tattoos are to be treated with the right care or else they will be extremly infected. bandages usually have SOME water going into it, thats why when your in a pool they fall off.. even the waterproof ones sometimes dont help that much, i advise not to go on the pool because it is better to miss going in the pool for a day than having an infection and treating it for a year or two or even more

• Rose

nope. You need to just stay out of the water. Sorry, but if the tattoo gets wet at all (which it likely will, those bandages aren't perfect) it means bad things, especially if it's pool water.

Either wait until the classes are over, or don't get in the pool. Wouldn't you rather have a great tattoo than a patchy mess?

Use the same thing they use for surgery sites to keep them dry and clean. Usually found in medical supply stores. What you use just depends on the size of the tattoo. I just got a tattoo on my wrist so a piece of tegaderm would fit fine.

i answered a similar question. to put it short my boyfriend has 5 tatts, he didn't listen to the no direct sun no swimming and regrets it. he compares it to a tatt that he did listen to the rules from the artist. it is nice and dark like the day he got it. don't take the chance of a "water proof bandage" your skin underneath it will still get moist if not from sweat. just allow the time to heal which will very from person to person. if anything put the same type of bandage on that you get with a tatt and just wad in a pool. don't get your tatt wet if its on your neck or arm would be easier. but just don't do it. your tatt will fade.

Source(s): when you take a shower it wont hurt it unless your scrubbing it. its the chemicals in the pool water that will mess it up faster and just being soaked for long periods of time if you go in a lake or ocean

Ask the tattoo artist and then decide. An infected tattoo is a very uncomfortable thing.

• ?

I wouldn't think they would allow you in the pool with a bandaged foot,because you are not suppose to have any kind of sore in the pool...

I went swimming the day I got both of mine. In the pool and ocean without anything to cover them. Its up to you but it didnt do anything to mine.