If the term "feminist" describes a woman with certain beliefs, then is there a term to describe a man?

Webster:

feminism: the theory of the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes

masculinist: an advocate of male superiority or dominance

Since typically the term feminist is associated with the female gender, is there a term for the male gender? Obviously a masculinist is the opposite. Ok, theoretically a man could be a "feminist" but that is not too commonplace.

Bebe...What???? I didn't realize I was posting an ad in the personals.

Carrie and ecogeek have put forth some good terms.

Girly M..."feminist" is more often associated with women. Not always, but the avg. person on the street. I wouldn't call the regulars on this forum as the avg. person though.

Favorite Answer

Ok, first I had to point something out, you claim "feminist" describes a woman with certian beliefs, yet your websters definition does not specify sex, it's actually unisex in it's definition as is the theory, and the ideal.

Second, I'd like to know the publishing information of the dictionary you obtained that definition of "masculinist" (Which btw when speaking about men's EQUAL rights the term is "Masculist" not "Masculinist", possibly the reason for the misconception)

Third, realize that feminism is not a special interest group solely for women, it is for both genders, therefore both men and women may call themselves feminists as long as they believe in equality of the sexes. Masculism is a theory that developed because men felt their interests were not being looked after by feminism, and therefore created another rights group.

These groups are not opposing, they are one in the same as far as beliefs are concerned, it is the policies and lobbying that differs between the two. But BOTH have the same goal, equality of the sexes.

Source(s): I hate that I have to do this (use wikipedia) bc unfortunately because of the ignorance out there (lol case in point) there isn't a whole lot of un-biased information avliable on masculism but here's this if you want to read up http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masculism

Males can be considered feminists as well.

Feminism is a diverse collection of social theories, political movements, and moral philosophies, largely motivated by or concerning the experiences of women, especially in terms of their social, political, and economic situation. As a social movement, feminism largely focuses on limiting or eradicating gender inequality and promoting women's rights, interests, and issues in society.

Within academia, some feminists focus on documenting perceived gender inequalities which they claim oppress women and on changes in the social position and representation of women. Others argue that gender, and even sex, are social constructs, and research the construction of gender and sexuality, and develop alternate models for studying social relations.

Some feminist scholars have posited that the hierarchies in businesses and government and all organizations need to be replaced with a decentralized ultra-democracy. Some argue that having any central leader in any organization is derived from the androcentric family structure (and therefore needs reform and replacement), and thus such scholars see the essence of feminism as beyond the surface issues of sex and gender.

Source(s): Equal Learning

Feminism in the traditional sense is a good ideology. It is about equality of men and women. It has nothing to do with misanthropy, matriarchy, burning bras, socialism, hating attractiveness, or anything of the sort. It is about equality. I respect moderate feminists such as Camille Paglia, Naomi Wolf, Susan Faludi, Betty Friedan, Germaine Greer. I like someone like Bai Ling. She is strong, trained in martial arts, well-educated, financially independent and successful. She shows what she wants and wears what she wants. She is comfortable with her looks, intelligence, attitude and sexuality. Nobody uses her. She is strong not a victim. She doesn't hate men, either. She is also an icon for gays and lesbians because she is bisexual. I am quite liberal, actually.

• roca

because of the fact those creepy men are probable overusing the words " slut, whore, hoe, ****" to describe those very women folk. that's a skill of verbal protection considering women folk are branded with the aid of sexual habit on an identical time as men are no longer. today, maximum women folk discover those men creepy; probable because of the fact they're too blind to admit that sexual promiscuity isn't a gender difficulty; that's a human rights difficulty.

actually, it is completely possible to call a man a feminist.

a man who is concerned with the welfare and equal right for men?

since i do work on gender equality for both men and women, even tho i tend to call myself a feminist because thats my perspective, i also occasionally refer to myself as a gender activist. That can be applied to a man that is focusing on men's rights issues.

LMAO... "advocate of male superiority or dominance"

Of course everyone already knows that, but I find it humourous that that's the actual dictionary definition. http://mw1.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/masculin...

A man can be a feminist, though I think that it's a touchy subject, as men can't really speak to female's experiences as a marginalized group. I think pro-feminist might be more accurate.

Source(s): Or "Egalitarian," which is def. a part of feminism but extends more to both genders.

Feminist sounds just fine to describe a man or woman that promotes equality of the sexes.

Depends on where you are looking but male feminists may be more commonplace then you think. You could also try humanist.

I prefer the term "equalist" in that it supports equality among the sexes.

Or maybe, for the guy who attempts to come up with an alternative version for his own gender.... Masochist might be appropriate LOLOL