Anonymous

Why was Disney's "Song of the South" banned for being 'racist' vs current blaxploitation cinema?

Song of the South is a film Disney made in 1946, one of the first unsegregated films in history, wherein the black slave Uncle Remus is kind and loving to two little white children, telling them stories like Br'er Rabbit, a folk tale created by and for black slaves in the 1800s. The main complaints are that Remus seems upbeat despite his social status, and that the characters "talk uneducated". Compare and contrast this film however to current media sensations that don't get banned.

Every time I see a film today, black actors are marginalized into thuggish roles or made to play the uneducated jester. Ebonics is spoken heavily, stereotypical phrases like "oh no you didn't!" get laugh tracks to them, and even protagonists seek out to rob and steal. Compare this to Remus, who refuses to let white oppression get him down, is happy despite it, and reaches out lovingly to white children with tales of black characters *outwitting* those trying to harm them.

Favorite Answer

the movies you watch today are the ones you want to watch....I guess you choose not to watch Movies that Denzel Washington or Don Cheadle are in.....

A brave question pdr and very thought provoking. It's a very controversial subject that easily knock some 'time bombs' over the edge but I will speak as I truly feel regardless of recrimination. I see that there are two kinds of people, good and bad, there are fence sitters and those who will stand up and be counted. I feel generally that people mix immigration up with racism and then the trouble begins, sheep, listening and copying other ignorant comments. A fool may rush in but a wise man will consider. I have no problem with any race and would be ashamed if anyone considered me to be racist, there will always be cultural differences but they can be advantageous in some ways, as I think the Western world has had things too easy. I also think identity is important, as in what your Country stands for etc but most importantly within yourself. I think also there is a new age of fear in the air because of the threat of terrorism, which again is being mixed in with racism. Most prefer to live and let live but when it goes wrong is when what is deemed as right is wrong. At the end of the day we are all humans regardless of what we look like and as long as we respect each other, there should be no difference when we look in the mirror...

it's belittling the evil deed of slavery, basically like saying it's ok because that's the place of black people and the white people are better, but everyone's still happy and getting along. And the slave is happy, so that means the master was a good man and doesn't have to own up for enslaving a human being.

And I agree there need to be more black main characters, and other ethnic minorities in films as well as books... that AREN'T interesting just because of ethnic stereotypes. They exist but there definately aren't enough. I loved reading as a child and I always wanted to imagine the main character as myself... I guess that's why.

• newbie

Because Uncle Remus was produced by the white film industry without any $ benefit to the black hollywood thugs of today. Now if Song of the South was redone today, produced by snoop, and starring nelly, or some such crap as that, but otherwise was done exactly the same except for all the profits going to today's crop of no-talent producers and 'stars', then it of course would win 100 awards and be the must see movie of the century.

I dunno.

I would love to have that movie in my collection,

Uncle Remis had some words of wisdom.

I actually got to take my oldest daughter to the theatre to see it.

I just wonder what some kids think what the "Splash Mountain " ride is all about.

Need to find out how to gebtDisney to release this film again in the USA..........

Unfortunately black actors that fall into that stereotype of "thugs" (not as many as you think by the way) are portrayed that way for one reason. It Sells. It sells so well that white boys around the globe imitate the blacks. You can see it every day on TV and the Internet. Yo Mama......Wats sup? I'm just chillin 'fore doin sum drillin.

Is this how YOU want black people portrayed? I wouldn't think so but blacks do little to stop it in their own communities.

Just one more result of political correctness and multiculturalism.

keyword black actors listen to the word (actors)= means to act asians always play the kung fu role in movies does not mean they do it in real life<think about questions u ask before posting,

because it made them look bad... whah