Lv 4
2012 asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Why has the U.S. Justice Department not sought formal criminal charges against Osama Bin Laden?

or anyone( but Zacarias Moussaoui) for the 9/11 attacks? seems a bit odd would you agree considering that they have irrefutable evidence of Osama and others carrying out the attacks.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Page
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

A great question. I guess it doesn't serve their interest to do so.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

A prosecutor and/or a grand jury brings charges, not The Justice Department. You seem to forget that the Justice Department had evidence of the 9/11 guys taking flying lessons (but not landing lessons) in American flight schools and decided to do nothing about it.

• 1 decade ago

Well, we haven't caught him, so we'd have to charge him in absentia, which is just silly.

But I think a better reason is that filing criminal charges would give bin Laden legal status. We haven't charged the hundreds of men in Guantanamo Bay because we want to keep them in legal limbo. Same thing could go for bin Laden.

• 1 decade ago

What good would that accomplish at this moment? Would you expect him to turn himself in or something?

The only way that man will be taken is in a pine box! Don't need formal charges for that.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

That would mean that the Justice Department would have to serve a warrant on a ranch in Crawford Texas to root him out.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

good question. i started asking the same question about mid september 2001. i always figured if a crime had been committed (stealing airplanes and blowing up buildings is a crime in america) why not call a cop. unfortunately this crime has now become a cold case. if our local DA had acted as slowly he would be out of a job, and NOT re-elected.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

He's the FBI's most wanted terrorist and has a 25 million dollar price tag on his head.

That's a good start.

I very seriously doubt that he is still alive.

• ?
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

none of them are here. Why would you seek charges against a foreign national that has not even been in the country. It is a military matter not a law enforcement one.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I believe you can only charge people when they have been arrested.

Due process of law I gather.

• 1 decade ago

a running mouse keeps the cat occupied!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.