Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenOther - Home & Garden · 1 decade ago

I need to defrost my freezer. I turned it down to the lowest setting - but the freezer is still going.........

Should I keep the freezer door open anyway even if it is going on the lowest setting.

Favorite Answer

Okay, the easiest route is the fastest route. Unplug the freezer, get all the food out in a hurry, pack it in coolers or boxes with towels and blankets. Leave the door open and do one of two things, plug a kettle inside and let it run or get a hair dryer and run it along the sides of the freezer, if it's an upright you have to do the same with the shelves. For a box freezer you can quickly release any big chunks easily from the sides and let it all fall into the bottom. I then take a dust pan and scoop everything up into a pail and then dump it. Once all the ice is gone, then just take a clean cloth and go over everything to finish with any sticky stuff left behind. Plug the freezer back in and reload, neatly, the food. Like I said fast and clean.

You will have to unplug it and then let the ice melt. Do you have some place to put your frozen foods?

Don't try to chip the ice away with a knife or anything sharp. I did that and had to pay over $100 to have the freezer repaired where I punctured the freon coils.

Worked in an office where we had a small office fridge. One of my male co-workers decided to defrost our fridge. When he got a butter knife I started to tell him the story but heard a loud swooshing sound just as I was getting to the punch line. He had to buy a new office fridge.

You could always look up the brand online and then read their suggestions?

take all the food out of it, put it in a cooler with ice to keep cold then unplug it, put a pot with boiling water in the the middle to help melt the ice. As the ice melt removed the big pieces and clean inside the freezer after all the ice melt. PS be careful with the hot water.

We usually turn the freezer off and then stick a huge pot of boiling water to sit in the freezer. It melts things alot quicker lol

Turn of freezer put in 0 or pull off prong after ice melted turn on again ( before turning on dry back off the freezer where melted ice will drain .

To defrost an older freezer....you unplug it....wait till all the ice has melted and you have recleaned the inside, then replug it back in. to start freezing again.

You need to take all of the food out of it. then, unplug it and leave the door open with some kind of container on the floor to catch the water/ice that is going to melt and fall out. then when all of it is gone you plug it back in and wait til it is cold again to put your food back in it.

Keep it open

turn it off