Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

First Amendment or First Commandment. Choose one. Which will it be?

The First Amendment gives us Freedom of Religion. That means ANY religion. Or NONE!

The First Commandment says that one may not have an y other God buy Yahweh. That rules out Hindus and Buddhists. Maybe even agnostics.

We cannot have both the First Amendment and the First Commandment backed by force of law. One msut give way to the other. So which will it be?

If you pick the First Amendment, aren't you being disloyal to God and disobeying his orders? The Bible tells yoiu what to do with "idol worshippers" and unbelievers, and it's not nice. And you can no longer claim that the Government, the Constitution, or the laws are based on the Commandments or the Bible.

If you choose the First Commandment, that destropys the Freedom that America was founded to have, and makes this a Theocracy. ("The worst type of government."-- C.S. Lewis) AND you are unpatriotic.

So pick one.

Favorite Answer

Constitution. Easy.

Beautiful question.

Edit to blessedservant: No one is saying you couldn't obey the 1st Commandment... only that it would not be law. Do you really think that we should force people who do not believe as you do to pretend they do under threat of legal action??

God gave us a free will...the commandment is to have no other Gods except him and to love him...but the commandments were given to the Jews..through which God plans to to make himself evident...if you do a real good bible study you will find that Abraham came from a polytheist culture..and God still chose him to bless all nations....God does not force himself on others never has he and never will he...he allows his creation to chose ...now as for the First amendment it goes to reason that if God will not force anyone to believe and follow a certain religion why should we try to??? It is just wrong...I am a Christian and I would love to see everyone come to the full knowledge of God, but I can not force anyone to believe, I can give my testimony and be a witness to others as to what God has done for me, but I will not hate someone for their lack of knowledge.... By the way the First amendment does not stop at freedom of religion...it also stops the congress from passing a law to ESTABLISH a religion...and also gives us the right to freedom of speech..etc..so how come anytime I want to talk about God people tell me I don't have the right to? And by the way I love my country, but I do not worship its flag, statues etc...I guess that makes me "unpatriotic"

You're right:

"We cannot have both the First Amendment and the First Commandment backed by force of law. One msut give way to the other."

So we enforce the First Amendment and allow people their personal choice of whether they will obey the First Commandment.

I thought this one through and I say a qualified first amendment. Some poeple should be killed. There are a great many people in this world we can do without - therefore killing is not always wrong. Of course we need laws etc. I like freedom of speech.

When properly executed they are not a contradiction to each other.

I see this as a false dichotomy, I would say that the first amendment protects everyone's right to not have to make choices like this.

I would risk my life to protect a follower of the god of Abraham's right to choose the first commandment for themselves.

Source(s): Non-Abrahamic Theist

Why do I have to chose?

I want the first Amendment part of my national legal system, but I want the first commandment part of my personal belief system.

I do not desire to force or impress my personal belief system on others as long as they do not do the same to me.

I would have to side with the First Commandment. As long as we have God - the true and Living God, he will see to it that we have all the freedom's we need. The bible tells us that where the spirit of Christ is there is liberty. Therefore, if we choose Jesus he will be in us and his spirit with us. We will have liberty.

If we chose the first commandment, we become partakers of idolators and nonbelievers. I fear God's wrath far more than any man's. Man can only kill you once but God can give you life eternally.

First Amendment always.

• Alan

I would take the Constitution of the United States over the entire bible any day of the week.

• First Amendment, no contest