Breastfeeding Support?

I've been breastfeeding my son exclusively since he was born 2 months ago. Well my husband is not too supporting in the issue. He doesn't like for me to feed my son in public and is always telling me that it's much easier to use formula and that I should just use it already. I don't want to stop nursing him and I'm not going to but how can I get my husband to be more supportive? It bother's me that he's always telling me to use formula when we're in public because my son doesn't like to be covered up and I don't cover him but either way you can't see anything. What should I do? Not that I see anything wrong with using formula I just think it's much easier for me to nurse him. Has anyone else gone through this?

Favorite Answer

I saw someone else mention this, but they make these great stylish covers for nursing in public, Hooter Hiders or Bebe Au Lait - same company they just have two different names for the products. They don't look like they actually drape on your baby's head or anything they just sort of go around you; so it may not bother your son.

It is so much easier breastfeeding, you don't have to carry a bottle with you and worry about the formula going bad. It's good health wise for your baby, it's a great stress release for you; and it's great to bond with your baby. It's a whole heck of a lot cheaper than formula.

Your husband doesn't know if it's easier he just doesn't want strangers seeing your breasts - tell him to get over it. Husbands make me laugh, my husband said 2 children are enough because it's wearing him down. At night after work he sits on the couch and watches tv, I do laundry, nurse our baby off and on for hours, clean the kitchen (he does make dinner) and take care of our 4 yr old - what part of any of that wears him out?

If you have no problems nursing in public then your husband should learn to support you; it's just what's better for the health of your baby. If you for some reason couldn't nurse in public have you considered pumping and bringing a bottle of breastmilk, your husband mentions formula but you could still give breastmilk in a bottle. Just a thought. Keep up the good work.

Well, first off, there are many things that are wrong with formula, your husband and you both need to learn that. Formula use at all raises your son's risk of childhood and adult obesity, allergies, and diabetes. That's ONE of the main reasons you should stay away from it. Second, it's the most natural and healthy way to feed your children, for at least the first year of life, and preferably longer. Formula was developed for babies whose mothers COULD NOT breastfeed, which today is about 2% of women. Not the much higher percentage of American women who now choose formula. What 'isn't natural' is knowing that your body can produce a perfect food for your son, every day, every feeding, and choosing bottled crap that is made for any baby, any day. There are also recalls on formula all the time, for things like metal bits being found. I don't know of any times metal bits have come out of a nursing mother's breasts... you already seem to know that nursing is easier, so I won't address that. The point here to me is why NOT to choose formula. You have absolutely no reason to. Check out these links, I think they have some really helpful info. Good luck~

http://www.todaysparent.com/baby/breastfeeding/art...

http://www.breastfeedingtaskforla.org/ABMRisks.htm

http://www.kellymom.com

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/milk/infant-form...

http://www.lalecheleague.org

YES! I nursed all three of my children and gave up after 4 months on the last one because I thought it would be easier!! NO WAY!! It is so much easier and cheaper to breast feed... you don't have to buy and clean bottles, or buy that expensive formula. Breast milk is so much healthier, too. I always tried to find someplace to nurse that wasn't so public. Husbands are very posessive of their property -- in this case, your breasts-- and get all weird about it. Try covering with a very light blanket or get a piece of very light material at a fabric store. Some people are embarrassed by you breast feeding your baby in public, too, so you really should be careful about it.

Source(s): mom of three grown children

it is SO much more convenient to nurse rather than use bottles at this stage....have hubby go SEE HOW MUCH FORMULA COSTS!! The ready - to -eat variety are very pricey , and if you buy the kind you must prepare yourself, you have to keep it cold when out in public and then heat it up. How do you heat up a bottle when shopping? Even at home it can take a few minutes of steeping in warm water to heat up to a temp baby likes, have baby cry for 2 -3 minutes cuz hes hungry and see how Dad likes that!

Finally, remind Dad that this is a SHORT amount of time in your lives, before Christmas baby can have crackers and juice when out in public. You wont be nursing forever. Its a great gift to give the baby. I have bottle fed one and breastfed the other ....the convenience of breastfeeding completely outweighs every thing else!

Source(s): postpartum doula

I nursed and loved it, but my husband was very supportive.

Out in public, it's amazing how easily I could cover up and people usually had no idea what I was doing. I even nursed in church. I could cover him without the baby being distressed.

I did a google search for nursing mother support groups, but I'd need your state initials to get links for groups near YOU. So you should redo my search and add your state. I saw one group in AL, but the ones that came up on top were groups in Singapore...

First, however, go to the La Leche League website below and see if THEY have a group in your area because they are the MAIN support group for nursing mothers. They will support you and help in any way they can on your husband.

Also, enlist the help of your OB. Make an appointment with your OB and take your husband with you. Talk to the OB first, when you are alone. Explain the problem you have with your husband being non-supportive of your nursing. You should show your OB how you are dressed and covered or not covered when you nurse and get his suggestions on any improvements he might have to make you inconspicuous. If you're too undressed while nursing, that could account for your husband's discomfort.

THEN... have the doctor send his nurse to request your husband join you in the doctor's office. If the doctor will talk to your husband and give him reasons why he should be supportive of you and stop trying to make you bottle feed in public, your husband is much more likely to listen to what your OB says than anything you can say or La Leche League members can say.

It's better to nurse him than bottle feed in public. I had one boy who stopped nursing and put me through 48 hours of pain when he decided the bottles at the nursery where he stayed when I was at work were much easier than nursing from me, so he absolutely refused to nurse ever again.

I hope you can get your OB to help you.

I hope you find La Leche League nearby as they will support and guide you.

Good luck. and try to keep calm no matter what.

Sarah's comments were GREAT. She ONLY forgot to say that mother's milk is ALWAYS the right temperature. Formula MUST be warmed up as cold formula will give baby stomach distress and hot formula will burn baby's mouth, so how are you supposed to get it just right out in public?

My husband is similar. He just gets aggrivated that he has to sit in the car and wait for me to finish feeding my son. I have had milk supply issues and well, and I have been working hard to breastfeed till a year. I work and pump and pump some more and he just tells me to stop torturing myself to just put him on formula. He doesn't understand that I want to breastfeed because of the bond I have built with my child and the fact that it is just easier.

You hang in there. I don't think you will have much luck in changing his opinion. You are the mother and you know what is best. Sounds like you are doing a wonderful job. Keep it up.

Keep doing what you're doing. Just talk with hubby and remind him how expensive formula and bottles are. And that you are giving your son the absolute best start in life.

Sounds like he might just be concerned b/c he doesn't want people watching you. I'm sure you cover up, but I want to get one of those Hooter Hiders. Have you seen them?? They are so awesome! If I ever get out of my little financial slump we're in right now, I am getting one. Google it!!

Hang in there and keep breastfeeding, Hubby will eventually come around!

Source(s): Me - mommy of 3, currently breastfeeding 7 mo old daughter
  • Maber

I am sorry your husband isn't supportive. You do have science on your side - show him the benefits of breastfeeding (and the cons of formula feeding, including lowered digestive ability in late development, some of which doesn't show up until teenage years) and maybe he'll change his mind.

Be respectful, though - remember, your husband has his opinion for a reason. :)

Good luck.

I'd encourage you to breastfeed as long as you can. It helps your child's mental/physical development and wards of many infections. It is also a great bonding experience for mom and child. I presume your H is uncomfortable with the risk of public exposure, or may be he feels left out of the bond you and your child share. You may consider pumping and carrying bottles with you while away from home. Heck, you can even hand the bottle to H and walk away! That way he gets to bond as well.

I think you and H can resolve this issue with an honest conversation. Good luck.