Books for a Teenager?

What are good books to read for a 15 year old vegetarian girl, who loves animals, the environment, and marine mammals. (Especially penguins & beluga whales). I am a big global warming and animal activist, and am against animal testing, animal slaughtering, and understand why spaying/neutering is important. I want to major in something with environmentalism or marine biology in college.

The books can be cookbooks, fiction, non-fiction, Anything!

If you can give me any ideas, and include links, anything is appreciated! Thanks! :-D

• Norah
    Favorite Answer

-The Starving Students' Vegetarian Cookbook by Dede Hall is great for college students but works for any age. Good recipes!

-Animal Liberation by Peter Singer is such an eye-opener and a good read. Not overly long but full of detail. I highly recommend it.

-A Language Older Than Words by Derrick Jensen. It is a story not only about the environment and world's destruction, but the destruction of people. Derrick Jensen writes many books on this subject, such as

-Listening to the Land: Conversations About Nature, Culture and Eros, also a good book focusing on environmentalists.

xrhett's suggestions of Hoot and Flush are right. They are fabulous books with a great message!

I don't have any links for you, but if you search Amazon.com, Barnesandnoble.com, or Overstock.com, you should find them there!

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

Little Women, Good Wives, Little Men & Joe’s Boys by L. M. Alcott

Wuthering Heights by Charlotte Bronte

Great Expectations by Charles Dickens

Harry Potter by J. K Rowling (1, 2, 3, ….)

Sophie's World and Orange Girl by Jostein Gaarder

Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy

The Overcoat, The Nose and Other Short Stories by Nikolai Gogol

1984 and Animal Farm by George Orwell

Catch 22 by Joseph Heller

One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh

Atonement by Ian McEwan

The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahaeme

Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit by Jeanette Winterson

Housekeeping by Marilynne Robinson

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro

Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky

Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe

To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee

In Cold Blood by Truman Capote

The Catcher in the Rye by J.D Salinger

Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom

Lemony Snicket’s series of Unfortunate Events

Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold

The Story of My Life by Helen Keller

The Catcher in The Rye

A Clockwork Orange

The Lord of The Flies

Brave New World

The Handmaid's Tale

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Charlie and the Glass Elevator, Matilda, Boy, The giraftand the Pelly and me,The enormous Crocodile, and Esio Trot by Roald Dahl

The Old Man and The Sea

enjoy :)

The Private Series

Well there are the big ones you've probably read like Silent Springs by Rachel Carson and Inconvenient Truth by Al Gore. I would also highly recommend any book by Barbara Kingsolver (she writes fiction, but is a very big environmentalist and oftentimes her books show that). The Omnivores Dilema is another good one (though depressing!) as well as Fast Food Naiton.

Good luck in college -- we need more people like you :)

Hoot or Flush by Carl Hiassen. They are fiction books about protecting wildlife in Florida. I know that Hoot has recieved an award, and has becom a movie. They are very good books, and I think that they fit your criteria.

• deva

have you read Gerald Durrell's books; David Attenbourough's 'Zoo Quest" books; William Beebe, J.Cousteau; Charles Darwin's 'Voyage of the Beagle"; R.C. Andrews' 'Born under a Lucky Star'; ........all non-fiction, and all really wonderful.

eragon,eldest(dragons)

white star(dog on the titanic)

where the red fern grows(dogs)

because of win-dixie(dogs)

call of the wild(dogs)

tiger rising(tigers)

tale of despereaux(mouse)

rl stine