J asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 decade ago

Workout Tips?

I need some tips on how to maximize my workout. I'm 15, stand 6ft 1in, and weigh 172. I've got a curlbar, 60 lbs worth of weight in 10 lb ingriments, 2 15 lb dumbells, 1 35 lb dumbell, and a machine that supposedly goes up to 200 lbs to work with. What should I eat, what supplements should I drink (I'm on some whey protein that you pick up at vitamin shoppe), what execises should I do to maximize results and gain muscle and lose some weight. I'm pretty active, especially at running and weightlifting, so I'm not a beginning exerciser. I'd just like to see some better abs, bulkier biceps/triceps, a nicer back and shoulders, and most of all, a good looking chest. I really need to work on my chest and abs. It's hard for me to get good results in those areas. So if you don't mind, give a little help. By the way, is it okay to weightlift every week day, or should I switch between running and weightlifting daily? Been wandering about that.

Favorite Answer

Alternate between running and weightlifting everyday. It'll help your muscles and give your workout some variety. For your chest and shoulders: benchpress, benchpress, benchpress.

Squats. Hold your arms in front of you and put your hands together. Squat down, back straight and keep your feet shoulder width apart. Start with 2 sets of 20.

Crunches. Do 3 sets of 33 and a different kind of crunch for every set. Start by laying on the floor and propping your legs up on the mattress (cross your ankles). Do a set of 33 crunches that way. Scoot back and hold up your legs in the same position as before. Do a set of 33 that way. Now do bicycle crunches (a set of 33).

you should do weights every second day to rest the muscles worked if you want to work everyday then split up the muscle groups this is a two day split .eg do chest back shoulders ,pecs triceps,bicep lats abs one day,then next day hams,quads,calf's,squats bum abs rest ,on the 3rd day then repeat do low reps heavy weights the heaver the weight the lower the reps to find out how many to do set your weights and do 2 to 4 reps 2 to 4 sets when you get to your sticking point only try one more set then make up your program using this technique for every muscle protein shakes are good add banana in it to.Ihope this helps.

Sometimes people lift and concentrate on how much they can lift without paying attention to isolating the correct muscles. FORM is so important to shaping your body.

Have you hired a traininer before? This is a GREAT way to go. Many gyms will have a trainer on duty to answer questions. Of course ask the background before taking advice from them.

GOOD form is crucial.