Sofi asked in Business & FinanceInsurance · 1 decade ago

Is there a course for auto insurance agents?

I want to get in the field of auto insurance agent. I have not been able to locate a school or site that can give me information. I'ved tried asking auto insurance companies but they only hire agents with licenses.

Favorite Answer

Generally, there are two licenses required to sell insurance.

First of all, the state certfies, by a written test, that you can be an agent. The insurance department also certifies the educational offerings, either approving them -or not. Accordingly, they'll have a list of available courses which are frequently taught in the evening at a community college. Once you complete the course, you report to a place to take the state test. In general, there are 4 types of licenses: Property, Casualty, Life and Health. If you want to sell personal auto insurance, you would take the property and casualty test.

That's level one - YOU.

Your license, however, doesn't necessarily mean you can actually sell insurance. The insurance company or agency for whom you wish to sell must, itself, also be licensed. It is safe to say that if they have an office and are doing business, they are licensed.

From time-to-time, all the companies that write insurance directly (through their own agents, not through independent agencies. Examples: State Farm, Allstate) look for new agents. If they like you at interveiew, they'll either send you to a local licensing course, or to their own insurance schools. There are, however, some insurance jobs that don't require a special license, such as paying claims. Often, working in the claims department is a way to get your foot in the door. Once you're in, then you can sign up for courses and get your certification.

Few, if any agents, sell auto insurance alone. Usually, they sell both auto and homeowners coverage, known as "personal lines" of insurance. This includes some specialty lines sucbh as RV coverage and boats. And often, there is a requirment to offer life insurance, because that's where the "big" money is.

You may find a good opportunity working for an "independent" agent, a shop that sells the products for a few or very many insurance companies. MetLife, the Hartford and Fireman's Fund are examples -but there are hundreds of others.

Here are the three things that will make you an attractive job candidate:

1. You dress well and are well groomed. Lose the pierced tongue.

2. You speak and write well, and in complete sentences. Forget "RU," and such short-cuts. The word "I," referring to yourself, is always capitalized. Your spelling is good.

3. You're good with math, some formulas and figuring percentages. You know how to calculate the area of a room or a building, for example. We're talking about the 4 functions here (add, subtract, multiply, divide). Algebra is not necessary.

In general, you have a professional manner about you. The business is very competitive, so appearance really does count.

I hope this helps.

I might suggest you to try this web page where you can get quotes from the best companies: http://HELP-INSURE.NET/index.html?src=2YAvedbvKJ36

RE :Is there a course for auto insurance agents?

1 following 1 answer

• Beilul

I would recommend you to visit this site where you can compare rates from different companies: http://INSURANCECOMPAREQUOTES.US/index.html?src=5Y...

1 following 2 answers

Source(s): I would recommend you to visit this site where you can compare rates from different companies: http://INSURANCECOMPAREQUOTES.US/index.html?src=5Y...