Why do people act as if oral herpes is better than genital herpes??

Herpes is herpes. Whether its on the mouth or gentials. You can easily spread oral herpes to the genitals. Why are people with genital herpes given such a bad rap??

Favorite Answer

You are so right! The main reason is ignorance and denial. Those who judge are usually uneducated people who still think that genital and oral herpes are a different virus. They want to hide under the myth that they and their friends are "clean".

Say a woman has oral herpes. She has oral sex with someone and gives them genital herpes. It is the exact same virus, and they both were involved in the act. But our society looks at the genital virus as being dirty.

So in the same case they are both virgins until marriage. She gives him genital herpes. Did either of them do something "wrong"?

People think nothing of sleeping around unless there is evidence of it. It is ok to sleep with hundreds of women as long as you do not admit to having an STD. But if you have slept with one person and you get one, you are looked down on.

It is a pathetic and very pointless double standard that leads to even more people contracting the virus genitally.

To be totally honest though. I would much rather have it in the genital region than the facial. No one can see anything blow the belt. The whole world can see the outbreak on your face!

1

Source(s): I Cured My Herpes - http://HerpesAway.oruty.com/?HRyF

2

Source(s): Top Herpes Cure Program - http://HerpesCured.trustdd.com/?nrio

My guess would be the reason people with genetal herpes has such a bad rap is because its taboo to talk about those areas and it IS a sexually transmitted disease.. (USUALLY). And there are a FEW people with it who could care less about spreading it... (Misery loves company) And those few have turned it into a bad rap for everyone else. Where as an estimated 50 to 80% of Americans or more of the population has oral herpes, cold sores, fever blisters, call it what you like. you have herpes (HSV-1) :)

Herpes simplex viruses are categorized into two types: type 1 (HSV-1 or oral herpes) and type 2 (HSV-2 or genital herpes). Most commonly, HSV-1 causes sores (sometimes called "fever blisters" or "cold sores") around the mouth and lips. HSV-1 can cause genital herpes, but most cases of genital herpes are caused by HSV-2. In HSV-2, the infected person may have sores around the genitals or rectum. Although HSV-2 sores may occur in other locations, these sores usually are found below the waist.

Herpes simplex viruses are also responsible for causing chickenpox and shingles. Varicella-zoster virus, a member of the herpes virus family, is the virus that causes chickenpox and shingles.

Kai is right, go to any website about herpes and look it up. You can have hsv1 and give oral to someone and give it to them. It's still the same virus just on your genitals now. Someone else wrote that hsv 1 and hsv 2 are different strains of virus, that's true also. it's not the same virus. I think people get confused and think just because you have genital herpes it is automatically caused by the herpes simplex virus 2. Like I said, that's not always the case. But to the original poster, you are right. Having oral herpes can be just as devastating as genital. And it is definitely harder to hide something that is on your face for all to see as opposed to under your clothing. Some of the pictures of people w/oral herpes are very difficult to see, it doesn't just stop at one or two "cold sores," the sore can be numerous and very painful, even spread to your eyes. People just make fun of what they dont understand and dont bother to take other people's feelings into consideration.

All I can say is I have genital herpes, and I'd take it over oral any day. At least I can choose whom to disclose my virus to, rather than advertising it on my face. My cousin has had cold sores her entire life, her whole mouth would be encrusted with them at times. Not only did it look gross, it would also be excruciating. Cold sores are more accepted because most people believe it's an airborne virus and you can't really help getting it. And not only is chicken pox a version of HSV, so is shingles, and herpetic neuralgia.

What would help is if the Herpes community had a respectable celebrity spokesperson. Look at what Magic Johnson did for HIV. Instead, people like Paris Hilton, Britney Spears, and Fred Durst are used as examples. Following is a list of celebs rumored to have Herpes: (from gossiplist.com)

David Hasselhoff

Bill Clinton

Moby

Tony Bennett

Robin Williams

Justin Whalin

Brad Pitt

David Beckham

Jason Kidd

Fred Durst

Joshua Jackson

Billy Idol

Colin Farrell

Lauren Hutton

Sheryl Crow

Paris Hilton

Victoria Beckham

Pamela Anderson

Lucie Arnaz

Janet Jackson (per her prescriptions list on SmokingGun.com)

Tawny Kitaen (per her prescriptions list on SmokingGun.com)

Britney Spears (seen buying Zovirax while in Kentwood)

Katie Holmes

Alyssa Milano

Kristanna Loken

Joumana Kidd

RE:

Source(s): people act oral herpes genital herpes: https://trimurl.im/d23/why-do-people-act-as-if-ora...

3

Source(s): Cure Herpes http://enle.info/HerpesFreeForever

David Beckham Herpes

I completely agree.

My boyfriend has oral hsv1, and gave me genital hsv1 through oral sex.

Now guess what, he isn't expected to tell he has oral herpes before sex, he can mention his cold sores in public and no one will react negatively, women won't turn him down or reject him because he has them...

I, on the other hand, have the same virus genitally where it is much less infectious, and I am 'morally' expected to tell men about it because it is 'wrong' not to disclose apparently, I feel I can't tell people I know because they will judge me, people automatically assume I am 'dirty' or that I have 'slept around' and they don't want to come near me. Many wouldn't have sex with me or would only have sex using protection or would expect me to take anti virals - yet most would let him with oral herpes give them oral sex when he doesn't have a sore without a second thought. Hell, how does that figure? It is the same virus he caught from his aunt's cold sore when he was five years old that he passed on to me, so what is the big deal?