I need some information on leukemia?

like the treatment for it how u diagnose it ................

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

What is leukemia?

Leukemia is cancer of the blood cells. Blood cells are made by your bone marrow, which is the soft tissue in the middle of most bones.

Leukemia starts with chromosome changes in cells. These changes are called mutations, and mutations change the way cells work and grow.

With leukemia, the bone marrow starts making too many white blood cells, and sometimes these cells don't work right. These cells keep growing when they are supposed to stop. They also grow faster than your other cells. Over time, these abnormal cells crowd out your normal white blood cells, red blood cells, and platelets.

Your white blood cells help your body fight infection. Your red blood cells make sure all your body parts have the oxygen they need. Your platelets keep you from bleeding too much. When the leukemia cells crowd out your normal cells, your blood cannot do its job. You may bleed or bruise easily, get sick more often, and feel very tired.

Are there different types of leukemia?

There are four main types of leukemia. Acute leukemia gets worse very quickly. People with acute leukemia often feel sick right away. Chronic leukemia gets worse slowly, and you may not have any symptoms until later on in the illness. Those two kinds of leukemia are divided according to which kind of white blood cells are involved, lymphocytes or myelocytes.

Acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL). ALL is the most common leukemia in children. Adults also get it.

Acute myelogenous leukemia (AML). AML affects both children and adults.

Chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL). CLL is the most common leukemia in adults, especially older adults. Children almost never get it. It mostly affects people who are older than 55.

Chronic myelogenous leukemia (CML). CML occurs mostly in adults.

What causes leukemia?

The cause of leukemia is not known. But there are some things that can raise your risk of getting some kinds of leukemia. These risk factors include certain chemotherapy treatments, being exposed to large amounts of radiation or some chemicals in the workplace, and smoking and tobacco use.

Most types of leukemia do not seem to run in families, but in some cases, CLL does.1 There are also certain genetic conditions, like Down syndrome, that can make AML more likely.

Most people who get leukemia do not have any risk factors.

What are the symptoms?

Symptoms may include:

Fevers and night sweats.

Frequent infections.

Weakness and fatigue.

Headaches.

Bruising of the skin and bleeding from the gums or rectum.

Bone pain.

Joint pain.

Swelling in the belly or pain on the left side of the belly or in the left shoulder from a swollen spleen.

Swollen lymph nodes in the armpit, neck, or groin.

Decreased appetite and weight loss because you feel full and don't want to eat.

The chronic forms of leukemia often cause no symptoms at first.

How is leukemia diagnosed?

If your doctor thinks you might have leukemia, he or she will ask questions about your past and present symptoms, do a physical exam, and order blood tests.

If your blood tests are not normal, you may need a test of cells from inside your bone, called a bone marrow biopsy. Bone marrow cells give key information for diagnosing most kinds of leukemia.

How is it treated?

Treatment depends on what kind of leukemia you have and how far along it is. Treatment can range from watchful waiting to a stem cell transplant. Usually it includes chemotherapy and sometimes radiation treatments.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Very broad question. I will tell you what I know. CML chronic myeloid leukemia- is diagnosed with a simple urine test. The symptoms? night sweats, tiredness- sound like leukemia, no, but that's what my husband had, and if he didn't get his annual physical we wouldn't have known until it either was too late or the CML would have been much more advanced and harder to fight. Look on the internet, you will find lots of information. Gleevec is supposed to be the #1 drug in fighting CML, has lots of side effects though. A newer drug Sprycell, I believe something like that.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Leukemia is a type of cancer of the blood cells in which the growth and development of the blood cells are abnormal. Strictly speaking, leukemia should refer only to cancer of the white blood cells (the leukocytes) but in practice it can apply to malignancy of any cellular element in the blood or bone marrow, as in red cell leukemia (erythroleukemia). I have a form of CLL and I personally do 4 days of chemo every 4-weeks and I'm on Cytoxan and Fludara. Some chemotherapy drugs are used for many different types of cancer, while others might be used for just one or two types of cancer. Your doctor recommends a treatment plan based on:

What kind of cancer you have.

What part of the body the cancer is found.

The effect of cancer on your normal body functions.

Your general health

Hope this helps :)

• 1 decade ago

Hey. Well you've asked a very brief question in quite a complicated area. I'll try and shorten it as much as possible and keep things simple. Leukaemia is quite rare and has an incidence rate of about 5 per 100000. It can be classified as four types: chronic lymphocytic leukaemia, chronic myeloid leukaemia, acute myelogenous leukaemia and acute lymphoblastic leukaemia. To differentiate these you look at the characteristic of the leukaemia cells using light microscopy, expression of surface antigens and other things such as cytosolic enzymes. Acute lymphoblastic leukaemia is predominantly a disease of childhood, the rest such as acute myelogenous leukaemia are more frequently seen in older adults. With acute leukaemias, the symptoms are due to bone marrow failure. So this means that the patient is likely to have the symptoms of anaemia such as tiredness, weakness and shortness of breath. They may also bruise or bleed easily, have a repeated fever or have repeated occurences of infection. They may also exhibit lymph node englargment. With chronic myeloid leukaemia, symptoms tend to be insidious on onset, that means that they appear without warning and are gradual. They may also have symptoms of anaemia, abdominal discomfort due to their spleen being enlarged, and may sweat at night, have a fever and be losing weight steadily. With chronic lymphocytic leukaemia they are likely to have recurrent infections, symptoms of anaemia (described above) and lymph node enlargement with splenomegaly (enlarged spleen).

Okay now we've delt with diagnosis! Investigations we can take are to take blood counts, look at all the cells under a microscope, look at their bone marrow, blood films etc etc (mentioned above) We can treat anaemia and thrombocytopenia (low platelets) by infusing blood and platelets. Infections can be treated with antibiotics. We can use chemotherapy to kill the bad cells, we can also use myeloablative therapy when we destroy the patients bad bone marrow, we can infuse new bone marrow, we can administer alpha interferons to induce an immune response, administer STI571 which is a specific molecule used to inhibit an enzyme which some of the cancer cells have lots of. There are also lots of new treatments coming up which are said to target specific properties of leukaemia cells. There are also lots of other methods that aren't worth explaining.

The bottom line is there is quite a lot you can do, but it still claims a lot of lives. If you need to know about a specific area drop me an email I'll be happy to explain it to you

Source(s): I'm a medical student
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

First, eat plenty of green leafy vegetables because of their chlorophyll content that renews your red blood cells. A food supplement suggestion would be to take Spirulina recognized by WHO and NASA as a super food that has lots of food elements including large quantity of chlorophyll.

Second, gradual exercise to stimulate joints to reproduce red blood cells. Consider good sleep hours and don't worry a lot... Forgive others...

Third, consider ganotherapy. Learn more by visiting the website below...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.