when can I shave my Tattoo.?

I got my tattoo over 3 weeks ago when can I shave the hair that is growing back over my ink

The tattoo is on the side of my leg it's 4x6

Favorite Answer

So, when is it safe to shave again? Your tattoo will go through several different stages, one of the last being the peeling stage. Once the peeling has finished, your skin will start to regenerate and produce a new protective layer over your tattoo. Once this new layer has appeared, it is usually safe to shave again. Depending on your tattoo and your own body's ability to heal, this can take anywhere from 5-10 days in most cases. Do this simple little skin test to see if it would be safe for you to shave:

Close your eyes and run the tips of your fingers across and around your tattoo. Are there any bumps? Raised areas? Hard scabs? The tattoo should feel the same as the skin around it - if you can tell where the tattoo begins and ends or feel any skin irregularities, you might need to wait a little longer.

Sometimes a tattoo can remain raised slightly for as long as a couple months. This can be very frustrating and itchy to the wearer. In this case, if the tattoo is completely healed with no open sores or scabs, an electric razor is you best option. Even a chemical hair remover would be better than a blade, but be sure to leave it on for the minimum time required to remove the unwanted hair. If you must use a blade razor, exercise extreme caution. Your tattoo is so close to being successfully healed - the last thing you want to do now is open it up.

Once a tattoo is completely healed, you can shave just like normal without worry.

This may be a bit "personal" but my friend had a tattoo on her "down there" She, of course shaves it so it can be seen LOL. If it is still healing (flaking,scabbing, etc.) then try to avoid shaving it. If it has healed go about shaving as usual, just like you normally would. Just take care not to nick or cut the freshly healed skin. Use a moisturizer and a good shaving cream ad be sure to completely rinse so the residues wont damage the tattoo. if you still have more questions or concerns, just call the place that did your tattoo. Most artists don't mind answering questions. After all...they want to make sure their art is kept looking great!!!!!

Well first to answer your question... as long as it's not scabbed or feels tender, you should be fine to shave it.

But now for my funny story. My guy friend has multiple tattoos of naked ladies on his arm. Every once and a while he'll shave his whole arm... except for the girls legs and cooch!!! It's hard to notice, but every once and a while you'll look at it and bust out laughing... It's the best when strangers notice!

Um.. I think it's still to soon to do so. Depends where it's located too.

have a few tats and i didn't cut any hair growing back until a month or so after. If it's alot.. just use some scissors and trim the area.. IMO you don't want to really shave over it often b/c the hair will get real thick over it..

hmm... where is this tattoo?

I think as long as scab has stopped flaking off and it's smooth to the touch you can shave it.

I'd think that as long as it doesn't have a scab, that you can shave it.

When it's completely healed and not peeling anymore.

• rua_88

should be good.. just shave lightly over the area or just wait one more week and you should be fine

Once the scab is gone and it is healed.

• Angelo

It should be fully healed now, go for it.