Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

How come my kitty can't meow?

He is a maine coon, and i know they typically dont meow. He has never been able to meow. He just chirps and sometimes if he really wants something, he squeaks. But he will look right at me and open his mouth, and nothing comes out. No meow. What is he missing?

Favorite Answer

My kitty does the same thing...it is better to have a kitty that can't be loud then a kitty that you can't get to be quiet...my kitty wants a play date...she loves the quiet ones!!!

I have a cat that's a mutt (Hudson), although it's obvious that part of him is maine coon. But he's also part tabby cause we met his mother. So he won't chirp like my other pure breed maine coon, but he doesn't seem to have a full meow either. I've had a lot of cats over the years, and I think they just have different meows sorta speek for different expressions. They tend to meow softer or barely at all when they're responding to you affectionately, they have another fuller meow when they're hungry or want something, and if they are lonely or trapped well then they let it all out. When Hudson gets trapped and let's it all out, he has a full meow, but that's the only time I've ever really heard him meow.

The other thing it could be is if your cat is a little on the overweight side. If he's a big cat already cause he's a maine coon, and he's overweight, well then he's got an awful lot he's carrying around with him and making a full meow might leave him a little out of breath. I've already put mine on a diet now that he's getting older so hopefully he doesn't get to a point of obesity, especially as with happens with neutered male mutts like him.

Or does he have an alergy or asthema? It may be a lack of breath that he's exhalling when he goes to chirp at you.

Source(s): Years and years and years of cat ownership, 2 currently

Here is what i found on a website about Maine Coons: perhaps the most unique thing to the Maine Coon is the noise he makes. Rather than the standard meow, this cat "chirps", a noise which is difficult to describe but one heard is never forgotten! Nothing seems to tell what they dont have or are missing sorry :] hope i helped

-- I looked at a lot of websites and couldnt find anything on why they can only chirp (people they dont meow at all).. sorry

Well, like you know, they typically DONT meow. If it is just a kitten, it may not have devoleped it's meow yet. Same thing happens with dogs. Some pets don't make their "noise" until they grow out of they baby stage. So he probably isn't missing anything. If he is an adult, it is just the fact that Maine Coons don't meow often. It could be that your pet has a very high voice so makes a squeak. I am pretty sure that your pet is fine. If you are REALLY worried, consult your vet. They can check on this, but you should probably just let it go. Your pet is just fine.

Source(s): My very helpful self. Hehe! =D LOL just kidding, hope i am helping you!

Yes, he will chirp and squeak alot. Like alot of cats (including my own female), sometimes the kitty doesn't meow until they grow a bit. My cat still doesn't meow unless she has a good reason to!

Maybe he CAN meow, he just doesn't WANT to. My cat does the same thing. He trills and chirps, but he very, very rarely meows. Maybe he's mixed with an Abyssinian? Abbys chirp and trill from time-to-time but very rarely meow. My cat's mixed with an Abby! Also, my 2 cats sometimes open their mouths and nothing comes out. Nothing to worry about! Hope that helped! Good luck!

Source(s): Owner of 2 cats- 1 loud and squeaky one, 1 chirpy and trilly one.

Mine does this too. I think they see that there's no need to speak up if we are right there.

Mine only meows loudly when we are in the car(she hates car rides) and when I give her medicine(which she also hates)

Maybe he just is one of those kitties who wants to say something but doesn't feel like using his vocal chords. You know, lazy.

Source(s): wild guess =]

It is very common in most cat breeds. Some just don't have strong vocal chords.

Mine does it too. Don't know what sort of cat it is though.

Duno what they're missing either but i just thought i'd let you know you're not alone.