Have you heard of Tijuana / Mexican puppy mills?

We bought a puppy while in line at the Mexico / San Diego border. When I shared my exciting news with the people at work, my boss informed me that the puppy was from a puppy mill, which is big business in Mexico. I've since learned all sorts of horrible things about these places -- e.g., the decrepid,... show more We bought a puppy while in line at the Mexico / San Diego border. When I shared my exciting news with the people at work, my boss informed me that the puppy was from a puppy mill, which is big business in Mexico. I've since learned all sorts of horrible things about these places -- e.g., the decrepid, disgusting conditions, the lack of access to food, water, & healthcare, the lack of vaccines, the forged documents, and letting the puppies be sold weeks too early.

Our puppy is definitely a puppy mill dog. We took him to the vet here in CA and were told he is sick and that his papers (and the info in them) are fake. We've had him less than a week but love him dearly and will do what we can to make sure he'll be okay.

We'd never heard of the puppy mill problem and if we had known, would never have contributed to it by purchasing our puppy, no matter what.

So, are we the only ones who've never heard of this? Is it only a problem in So. Cal.?