mangopuppy asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Have you heard of Tijuana / Mexican puppy mills?

We bought a puppy while in line at the Mexico / San Diego border. When I shared my exciting news with the people at work, my boss informed me that the puppy was from a puppy mill, which is big business in Mexico. I've since learned all sorts of horrible things about these places -- e.g., the decrepid, disgusting conditions, the lack of access to food, water, & healthcare, the lack of vaccines, the forged documents, and letting the puppies be sold weeks too early.

Our puppy is definitely a puppy mill dog. We took him to the vet here in CA and were told he is sick and that his papers (and the info in them) are fake. We've had him less than a week but love him dearly and will do what we can to make sure he'll be okay.

We'd never heard of the puppy mill problem and if we had known, would never have contributed to it by purchasing our puppy, no matter what.

So, are we the only ones who've never heard of this? Is it only a problem in So. Cal.?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

PUPPY MILLS ARE EVERYWHERE!!!! For one, that cute little puppy most likely came from a large-scale, substandard commercial breeding operation, commonly known as a puppy mill. Puppy mills usually house dogs in overcrowded and often unsanitary conditions, without adequate veterinary care, food, water and socialization. The breeding stocks at puppy mills (possibly your new puppy’s mom and dad) are bred as often as possible in order to increase profits. Unlike your lucky puppy, the mom and dad will probably never make it out of the mill.

1. Do Not Buy Your Puppy From a Pet Store

That puppy who charmed you through the pet shop window has most likely come from a large-scale, substandard commercial breeding facility, commonly known as a puppy mill. In these facilities, parent dogs are caged and bred as often as possible, and give birth to puppies who could have costly medical problems you might not become aware of until after you bring your new pet home.

2. Make Adoption Your First Option

If you’re looking to make a puppy part of your family, check your local shelters first. Not only will you be saving a life, but you will ensure that your money is not going to support a puppy mill. There are many dogs waiting for homes in shelters all across the country―and an estimated one in four is a purebred! Your second option is breed rescue. If your heart is set on a specific breed you haven’t been able to find in a shelter, you can do an Internet search for a breed-specific rescue organization.

3. Know How to Recognize a Responsible Breeder

If you’ve exhausted your options for adopting and are choosing to buy from a breeder, remember that responsible breeders have their dogs’ interests in mind. They are not simply interested in making a sale, but in placing their pups in good homes. A responsible breeder should screen you as thoroughly as you screen them! Read the ASPCA’s responsible breeding statement to find out more about how a responsible breeder behaves.

4. See Where Your Puppy Was Born and Bred

One sign that you are speaking to an unscrupulous breeder is that they will not let you see the facility in which your puppy was born. Always ask to see the breeding premises and to meet both parents (or at least the mother) of the puppy you want to take home. You should also ask for an adoption contract that explains―in terms you understand―the breeder’s responsibilities, health guarantee and return policy.

5. Internet Buyers, Beware!

Buying a puppy from the Internet is as risky as buying from a pet store. If you buy a puppy based on a picture and a phone call, you have no way of seeing the puppy’s breeding premises or meeting his parents. And those who sell animals on the Internet are not held to the Animal Welfare Act regulations―and so are not inspected by the USDA.

6. Share Your Puppy Mill Story with the ASPCA

If you have—or think you have—purchased a puppy-mill puppy, please tell us your story. Every bit of evidence gives us more power to get legislation passed that will ban puppy mills.

7. Speak Out!

Inform your state and federal legislators that you are disturbed by the inhumane treatment of dogs in puppy mills, and would like to see legislation passed that ensures that all animals bred to be pets are raised in healthy conditions. You can keep up-to-date about current legislation to ban puppy mills by joining the ASPCA Advocacy Brigade.

8. Tell Your Friends

If someone you know is planning on buying a puppy, please direct them to our puppy mill information at ASPCA.org. Let them know that there are perfectly healthy dogs in shelters waiting to be adopted.

9. Think Globally

Have a webpage, a MySpace page or a blog? Use these powerful tools to inform people about puppy mill cruelty by adding a link to our puppy mill information at ASPCA.org.

10. Act Locally!

When people are looking to buy or adopt a pet, they will often ask the advice of their veterinarian, groomer or pet supply store. Download and print our flyers and ask to leave them in the offices of your local practitioners.

• 5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Have you heard of Tijuana / Mexican puppy mills?

We bought a puppy while in line at the Mexico / San Diego border. When I shared my exciting news with the people at work, my boss informed me that the puppy was from a puppy mill, which is big business in Mexico. I've since learned all sorts of horrible things about these places -- e.g., the...

Source(s): heard tijuana mexican puppy mills: https://shortly.im/UhSRJ
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

Mexican Puppy

• 1 decade ago

No. Puppy mills are every where in the United States, and that is probably the same with other countries. All the puppies you see in pet stores are from puppy mills or back yard breeders, but the majority are from puppy mills. No responsible breeder would sell to a pet store, ever.

edit; And I also forgot to add that you should not buy from a pet store to save the puppy, by doing that you are letting another dog go through the horrible conditions of a puppy mill. Think about, puppy mills run on the money they get from selling the puppies, no puppies selling, no money for them.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • &l0ve;
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

There is a problem with puppymills EVERYWEAR. Anywho who breeds all these mixes and 'teacup' dogs are puppy mills. The breed standard says there is ONE sized chi and ONE sized yorkie. Any teacup or 'mini' (unless recognized by akc) WILL have health problems later in life.

NEVER buy a puppy from the newspaper, petstore or someone giving away puppies from their backyard.

Always find a REPUTABLE breeder through the AKC or rescue a dog from a shelter or purebreed rescue.

We all learn from our mistakes, but at least now you know about the puppymill industry.

Hope the pup turns out okay.

• 4 years ago

A dog should be trained on how to eat, walk with you, not to bark, potty training and sleep on its place etc. You can teach anything to your puppy, dogs get trained easily with some good instructions. If you want some good training tips visit https://tr.im/6ljiI

If properly trained, they should also understand whistle and gesture equivalents for all the relevant commands, e.g. short whistle or finger raised sit, long whistle or flat hand lay down, and so on.

It's important that they also get gestures and whistles as voice may not be sufficient over long distances and under certain circumstances.

• 1 decade ago

Just a tip to other people MEXICAN PUPPY MILLS CAN NEVER BE TRUSTED

• 1 decade ago

Bit of common sense always helps.

• 1 decade ago

iam sorry

I hope your pup is okay...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.