How much of my retirement contributions will I get back if I leave my job?

I'm employed with the local public school system. I began working for them eight years ago. Through my employment, I have been having an amount deducted from my check to be placed in a retirement account through the school system. The system has been adding funds to it as well, but what I am concerned about is... show more I'm employed with the local public school system. I began working for them eight years ago. Through my employment, I have been having an amount deducted from my check to be placed in a retirement account through the school system. The system has been adding funds to it as well, but what I am concerned about is the part I have been contributing.

I have decided to leave my job and stay home with my kids full-time. Since my retirement account is not a 401K, it can't be "rolled over". So, I am assuming the school system will have to return my retirement contributions to me, minus what they have contributed and local taxes. Am I correct? If so, will this amount automatically be federally taxed, or will I have to report it on my next tax return?

I'm so confused! I don't want to call my employer to ask these questions if I can help it, because I don't want it to sound like I'm more concerned about my money than all they have done for me over the past few years.