Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Akita Owners - At what age did your Akita Dog become protective?

of you and the home. My Akita is fifteen months old and I still don't think he has achieved maturity regarding the protecting of us. When do Akita's come into there own. I know they are mature at three years old but still when did your Akita start showing protective instincts to you.

Favorite Answer

i have 2 akitas,the bi*ch is 8 years old and has always been very protective of the house and family,the dog is 2 and a half and he is so stupid!!he loves everybody and everything,they are very loyal and protective dogs to their family,they are not aggressive if treated with respect!i have 4 kids and my youngest is 5 months old,if they were bad dogs i wouldnt have them.

I grew up with an Akita (and knew several more that were friends of the family.) I'm not sure what you're expecting in terms of the dog becoming protective. Our Akita was very intuitive about being protective, she was happy and friendly with just about everyone who came to the door, but in the few instances where I or someone in my family was unsure about someone who came to the door she was right there watching the person. I don't know how she acted when we weren't home in terms of 'protecting' the house but as far as I understand it they don't make very good 'area guards' they're more 'people guardians.' Please don't train your Akita to be protective, it takes a LOT of experience to do that correctly and even more expierence with Akitas as a breed.

Source(s): 12 years with and Akita as my best friend

Akita's are aggressive not protective. You have to train a dog to be protective. It doesn't occur instinctively. You need to train your akita to be able to control the aggression. If your uncontrolled dog bites and hurts someone you will mostly likely lose the dog, become involved in a civil law suit, which you will probably lose and it is possible you might be involved in a criminal prosecution.

Source(s): 50 years of owning, raising, and training dogs.