A question mainly for regulars: why do you ask so few questions and answer so many trolling ones?

People frequently bemoan the amount trolling in this section. Rightly so of course, there can be times when you look at the page and 90% of the questions are flamers. You can complain about the lack of moderation on this board but Yahoo will never care so why not focus on what YOU can do? First of all, it seems... show more People frequently bemoan the amount trolling in this section. Rightly so of course, there can be times when you look at the page and 90% of the questions are flamers. You can complain about the lack of moderation on this board but Yahoo will never care so why not focus on what YOU can do?

First of all, it seems to me that most of the non-trolling regulars here don't ever bother to ask questions. Obviously there are exceptions (Girly McFemale, allegra, Flyinghorse, waswisgirl are four that I can think of), but most (or many others) seem occupied with answering questions (many of them trolling ones) rather than asking them.

Obviously trolling wont decrease as a result but surely the overall standard of the board will increase if there are more reasonable questions on display.

Second, I imagine that trolls get a kick out of how regulars respond to them. So why not collectively agree to boycott them? Don't you think some of them might get bored if they're given the cold shoulder?
Update: I didn't have enough room to explain the second point, but I think it's such an obvious one. I mean to say that the trolls probably get a particular enjoyment in interacting with and baiting established members. So why satisfy them when you don't need to? Come on sistas, get organized!
Update 2: It doesn't matter if you've made up your mind on an issue or think that a question might be banal. It needs SOMEONE to start a discussion.
Update 3: carrie, I agree, although, a question doesn't need to be intellectually stimulating to be reasonable. And again, on the off chance you do know everything, it doesn't mean you can't raise a topic for people to discuss, does it?
Update 4: carrie, I got your joke*, and I understand the smiley-system. : ) (See?) Again, it's not realistic to expect standards here to be high, so I'm not talking about intellectual stimulation. I think you can ask decent questions without asking people to turn off autopilot. That said, I overlooked... show more carrie, I got your joke*, and I understand the smiley-system. : ) (See?)

Again, it's not realistic to expect standards here to be high, so I'm not talking about intellectual stimulation. I think you can ask decent questions without asking people to turn off autopilot.

That said, I overlooked Flyinghorse's point: asking questions makes you more of a target. This is probably not the main reason why people don't but it's certainly a valid one.

*In order for me not to understand the joke, I would have to assume that you genuinely believe you know everything. I am DEEPLY offended by your assumption that I am such a dunce. ; ) (There is my mastery of the smiley-system again)
Update 5: gldjsn, I understand your motivations perfectly. I was referring to people who give their time to "attention whores" when they could raise the standard of this board (gender and women's studies) by asking decent (if perhaps banal) questions. Girly, you feminists should have another... show more gldjsn, I understand your motivations perfectly. I was referring to people who give their time to "attention whores" when they could raise the standard of this board (gender and women's studies) by asking decent (if perhaps banal) questions.

Girly, you feminists should have another "conciousness-raising" session and start calling trolls that. Much better term.
Update 6: kendrick, I've only just read your answer. In fact, two of the people I mentioned have me blocked but that has no bearing on this particular issue.

I've said plenty on the blocking-to-stifle-debate issue previously.