tasha asked in TravelUnited StatesHouston · 1 decade ago

I like to get info. on Dallas and Houston Texas. If anybody out there could share with me their experience.?

I like to know what it is like in city of Dallas and Houston. I'm mainly interested in the jobs that avaiable, transportation, apartment average prices,schools, etc. Me and my cousins planning on going down there. We not for sure if we won't to go to Dallas or Houston. If anyone been there or live there now. Please tell me your good and bad experience and if you were visiting or if you are currently living there. I have a cousin that can't drive she would also like the the public transportation. Does the buses run well or does it stop running after a certain time. Any suggestions and websites that would be benefical let us know.

Favorite Answer

I was born and raised in Dallas. I lived there over 30 years. I know reside in the Houston area and have been here going on 5 years. It all depends on the location of either of the cities that you choose to move to. They are both wonderful places with a lot to do. Just check out the crime rates in the parts you are thinking about moving to.

Dallas is the third-largest city in the state of Texas and the ninth-largest city in the United States. The city covers 385 square miles (997 km²) and is the county seat of Dallas County.[4] As of July 1, 2006, U.S. Census estimates put Dallas at a population of 1,232,940

According to the FBI, a city to city comparison of crime rates is not meaningful, because recording practices vary from city to city, citizens report different percentages of crimes from one city to the next, and the actual number of people physically present in a city is unknown. Also, most of the violent crime in a city is concentrated in a few bad neighborhoods.

The Dallas Area Rapid Transit authority (or DART) is a transit agency based in Dallas, Texas (USA) that operates buses, light rail (including an underground station), commuter rail, and HOV lanes in Dallas and 12 of its suburbs. It is the largest light rail operator in the state of Texas.

Houston is the largest city in the state of Texas and the fourth-largest in the United States. As of July 1, 2006, the U.S. Census Bureau estimates the Houston population at 2,144,491. The city covers more than 600 square miles (1,600 km²). Houston is the county seat of Harris County

Criminal Law is enforced by the Houston Police Department. Houston's murder rate ranked 18th of U.S. cities with a population over 250,000 in 2005.[55] Despite the rise in homicides of 23.5 percent, nonviolent crime in the city dropped by 2 percent in 2005 compared to 2004.[56] Since 2005, Houston has been experiencing a spike in crime, which is due in part to an influx of people from New Orleans following Hurricane Katrina.[57] After Katrina, Houston's murder rate increased 70 percent in November and December 2005 compared to levels in 2004. The city recorded 336 murders in 2005,[56] compared to 272 in 2004.[58]

Houston's homicide rate per 100,000 residents increased from 16.33 in 2005 to 17.24 in 2006.The number of murders in the city increased to 379 in 2006, although this increase was smaller than in 2005;Houston, like other cities, faces crime related to gang activities: in 1996, there were about 380 gangs with 8,000 members, of which 2,500 were juveniles.

The Metropolitan Transit Authority of Harris County, Texas, or METRO, provides public transportation in the form of buses, light rail, and lift vans. METRO's various forms of public transportation still do not connect many of the suburbs to the greater city, causing Houstonians to rely on the automobile as a primary source of transportation.

Both Dallas and Houston have public transportation. Dallas is a lot nicer though. My brother recently moved to Dallas from Houston because of all the Katrina refugees there. He says you can't go anywhere without a bum getting all up in your business asking for "gas money." The violent crime rate in Dallas used to be one of the worst in the nation though. Apartment prices are pretty similar. For a 1B1B prices for a decent place start at about 450 - 500 a month.

Source(s): Lived in both cities currently live in the Dallas area.

I have friends in Houston who tell me the town is not as good since all the Katrina refugees were relocated there. They don't feel as safe anymore. I think you would be happier if you moved to Dallas. The cost is about the same. Dallas has good bus service, and light rail that can get you just about anywhere in Dallas County. Make sure you don't move to one of the cities like Mesquite since they don't have public transportation. Most of the other suburbs and all of Dallas do have it. Check "http://tripplan.dart.org/hiwire?.a=iHelp&HelpTopic... for more information.

Source(s): I have lived in the Dallas area for 45 years. Good luck!

um houston better and it larger and its metro area also is n the 600 square miles. any how to answer ur question really just go to wikipedia and research texas read all of the stuff off of it. and research dallas then houston then other texas citys. and houston is better just its summer weather sucks. and dallas is nice just its crime for it being a really small city compared to new york city or houston. is abusrd. but the dallas metro area is really nice and dont live in the hood. also . and if u go to wikipedia which isnt false **** it isnt if u post crap then they u get reported and then they will fix the stuff that u made up.

but if u research the city from wikipedia and read all that **** then u will know and same with texas. know they have links to more stuff enjoy either city

http://www.houston-guide.com/

http://www.dallascvb.com/visitors/

these seem pretty helpful...hopefully what you were looking for