Informed Questions on Pregnancy?

My dearest friends just found out that they are expecting their first child. As a single, 21 year old male, I can honestly say that I know next to nothing about pregnancy. I'd like to show that I care about this exciting new chapter in their life, but my lack of knowledge on the subject is providing little fodder for conversation, thus giving a false impression of indifference. What are some good topics of conversation to have with and informed questions to ask my friend?

Favorite Answer

The best thing to do is just to tell them straight out. Sometimes so-called "informed questions" can be too personal. Tell your friend how excited you are for them, but you can be a bit confounded by the whole situation since you don't know a lot about pregnancy. In a couple months (2nd trimester) they will be able to know the sex of the baby. Until then you can always bring up name ideas. I would suggest asking general questions and let them answer in as much detail as they are comfortable with. Meanwhile offer to help decorate (paint) the nursery or, if you can cook, make dinner for the group of you. Sometimes the best way of showing interest is through support and action.

• Mrs.P

Honestly, if I were you, I wouldn't ask too many questions of the couple together beyond the basics "when are you due?" "do you want to find out the gender beforehand?" "Is there anything I can help you with?" I found a lot of people's questions just inappropriate. I hated being asked by males "so, have you been to see a doctor yet?"

For the father of the baby, I think it's good to ask him questions about how he's feeling about everything related to the baby.

I think you should really leave it up to them to start conversations about it. When a couple is expecting a baby, that's not all there is to their lives. I know I personally do not enjoy having it as the center of every conversation. You don't need to feel like you have to constantly be making references to their baby.

Just let them know how thrilled you are for them, and act interested when they bring it up. And let them know that you know very little about pregnancy and would be happy to have them share anything with you that would help you to understand better what they're going through.

Source(s): 13 weeks pregnant

hmmmm, few little facts

1. usualy very anxious for babies to first kick...which may happen anywhere from 16 wks to 23wks along

2. tired all the time, man i hated that

3. hot weather is no good, were always hot

4. an ice cold bowl of ice cream is fantastic

5. dads get nervous too, ask him how things are goin from time to time

6. a good present for someone preggo is a pair of flip flops :)

Hi,

I am sure you can buy pregnancy books or look up things on the internet have a browse around and hopefully you can learn from there. Hope everything turns out ok for you friend and good luck.

I think mostly you would just show your support and encouragement. And just ask how momma is doing from time to time. People ask me what names I've thought of, whether or not we intended to find out the sex of the baby, but it's all pretty general stuff. No need to research anything. Just showing your general concern is quite enough for the new parents.

OK yeah try buying a book, try to understand what emotions are going around your female friends body this may come in handy for when her partner isn't to sure why she is acting the way she is. try talking about the sex of the baby, possible baby names, and offer your support who knows they might make you a god father!!! hope i help xx

• CAT

Perhaps, with an approach of fervent expediency, you can express your interest in their newly introduced state of affairs by alerting them to the fact that you are unreservedly available to provide sustenance on certain nights of the week.

buy a book

Source(s): 28 weeks pregnant with baby #2