Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsEarth Sciences & Geology · 1 decade ago

Diamonds.?

What resources could help someone become a diamond cutter or smith? Links or books

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Diamond cutting is a totally "hands on" skill which can only be acquired by undergoing an apprenticeship type learning program. It is impossible to learn even the basics through any online training course. nor through reading books (although books can give you an understanding of the methods used). There are college courses available which are usually for 1 year but these only give you the very basic skills (in spite of what advertising may try and tell you). You can do a Google search on Diamond Cutting courses to get a list of these.

My advice to you would be to go through the trade directories and look up all the diamond cutting firms in the U,S. Next prepare a very smart C.V. and a letter explaining exactly why you are so keen to become a diamond cutter and asking if they would consider you for any trainee position they may have vacant. Send these out to all the companies you have found but be prepared to accept the fact that you may have to move home to be near your work. I do not want to sound rude in any way at all but with letters of application double check all the grammar and spelling, I often used to get letters from aspiring gemmologists looking for positions with my company and if they had any mistakes whatsoever in them the sender did not even get an interview.

Good luck with your efforts.

A very good book to read is "Diamond Cutting" by Basil Watermayer. Published by Purnell & Sons. The ISBN is 0-86843-030-7.

Source(s): Over 40 years as a professional gemmologist.
  • 5 years ago

After the decline of the Roman empire diamonds disappeared from European jewelry altogether. India was the only source of diamonds until the 18th century and the supply chain to Western Europe got disturbed by the lack of Roman merchants. The spread of Christianity had already subdued the popularity of the gem. The new religion condemned the superstitious attributes which had accompanied the stones. Contrary to the European situation, the gem remained its popularity in the Indian and Islamic world and it is in historic sources from these regions where interesting historical references are to be found

The Ratnapariska by Bhudda Bhatta, an Indian text which, at least, dates back to the 6th century notes the following:

“ Wise men should not use a diamond with visible flaws as a gem; it can be used only for polishing of gems, and it is of little value ”

Since polishing other gemstones with a full crystal isn't feasible this text must have indicated the grounding up of bad quality diamonds in order to create diamond powder.

• 1 decade ago

I think the only way you can even be in this field is to be a jew

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I'd like to know this too. :-)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.