Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Did you know that Islam did not spread by the sword?

What is your opinion about this quote?

"WAS ISLAAM SPREAD BY THE SWORD?

According to the Quraan, "There is no compulsion in religion"(2:256), thus, no one can be forced to become a Muslim. While it is true in many places where Muslim armies went to liberate people or the land, they did carry the sword as that was the weapon used at that time. However, Islaam did not spread by the sword. In many places where there are Muslims now, in the Far East like Indonesia, in China, and many parts of Africa, there are no records of any Muslim armies having gone there. To say that Islaam was spread by the sword would be to say that Christianity was spread by guns, F-16's and atomic bombs, etc., which is not true. Christianity was spread by the missionary work of Christians. Ten-percent of all Arabs are Christians. The "Sword of Islaam" could not covert all the non-Muslim minorities in Muslim countries. In India, where Muslims ruled for 700 years, they are still a minority.

Update:

In the USA, Islaam is the fastest growing religion and has 6 million followers and no sword is around."

17 Answers

Relevance
  • Omer
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Thank you for this post.

Spreading Islam by the sword is by all means unislamic. Would Allah want us Muslims to convert people forcefully, when He clearly says that there shall be no compulsion in religion? Also, these can be thought of as virtually wasted conversions. When someone converts to Islam, it should be of their own will, and it is a blessing. When people are converted by force, then they are not true Muslims. If they were forced to convert, then they obviously did not want to, and could not possibly be Muslim. No one can force someone to believe that Jesus is not God's son (Istafirallah) if they truly believe so. You cannot hit and hit someone until their brain tells them that Islam is the truth. Forcefully converting people means only recruiting weak followers who had no interest in converting to Islam; would Allah approve of converting many people by the sword, who will not be true Muslims? When Muslims convert, we should only convert those who truly want to convert; if someone does not want to convert, then it not worthy to convert them. Allah would not want tons of weak followers. Islam needs strong followers, and converting many people forcefully who did not want to convert indicates that many weak followers are being recruited. That's the best way I can explain it, I hope you understood that. I know it was somewhat choppy, but I can't even explain it. Well, good luck understanding that. =D

aphroditeofknidos20:

Examples of Islamic violence on the extreme end of Islam: suicide bombings, kidnapping and executions, honor killings, clitoral mutilation (not officially affiliated with Islam but used to control women's sexuality in Middle East), protests against freedom of speech (Danish cartoons of Muhammad), anti-Jewish (opposition to Israel, the only democracy with a free press in the Middle East), holocaust denial, hatred of religion/state separation (they want Shariah law, which calls for human rights abuse like stoning to death or cutting off hands for stealing).

As a Muslim:

Suicide Bombings -- Against Islam, I strongly oppose it

Kidnapping and Executions -- Against Islam, I strongly oppose it

Honor Killings -- Against Islam, I strongly oppose it

Clitoral Mutilation -- Against Islam, I strongly oppose it

Protests -- I admit, could have been dealt with differently, but the ways it was dealt with by Muslims were unislamic

Anti-Jewish -- Lol. Nice try, but its the other way around. I'm not trying to arouse hatred or violence, just presenting facts. Jews own the western media. Surprise surprise? I don't think so. Go ahead, look it up anywhere. No wonder why all the media seems to say about Islam is hate, lies, misconceptions, rumors, exaggerations, fabrications, etc. After all, Israel invaded Palestine, not the other way around. The media manipulates the west into its point of view--and if Jews own it, well guess what? They are not going to be saying pleasing things about Islam. Its not fair to us Muslims, but we must deal with it. And as a result of this bias media, many people become ignorant, and we constantly find ourselves educating and correcting people like you. All we can do is spread the truth about Islam, not the "truth" you claim that comes from the media. And the only reason Muslims would not like Jews is because they are invading Palestine for no particularly good reason, and Muslims were warned against Jews, as they broke many treaties and promises with our kind prophet and caused much distress. I'm sorry to break that to you, but its the truth. I hope your brain reconfigures and you are able to open your mind one day. Best of luck!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Great sister doing a great job of recommending the truth, to others.

The holy verse, 2:256 was revealed in Madeena, when some of newly converted Muslims, locals of Madeena, were beating their young sons to convert them to Islam, who refused to leave Judaism.

Thanks and Ma'ssalamah.

• 1 decade ago

they used sword in the Mediterranean. however you are very correct, islam in S.E. Asia and black Africa was not bloody.

and as to the verse of 2:256, i think its really confusing. i mean the quraan just keeps contradicting itself. one verse would say 'there is no compulsion in religion' then one say 'muslims should not convert to other religion'. one verse would suggest to 'befriend non muslims' then another verse would suggest 'kill those who cant accept islam'.

• 1 decade ago

Yes i knew that. It was mostly spread through trade. the muslim world were merchants and traded. It also spread because people want truth.

watch "Empire of Faith" it was on PBS, but you can order it off the website. It is a great documentary made by non-muslims.

http://www.pbs.org/empires/islam/

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Islam spread by the sword until it was stopped by the sword. The increase in the US is by immigration and high birth rate.

Source(s): Read your history.
  • 1 decade ago

Sorry to bust the delusion, but Islam was spread by violence. In many cases, so was Christianity until quite recently.

Why do you get executed if you convert to Christianity in Saudi Arabia, Afghanistan (post 2001), and many countries in the Muslim world?

Give me a break, Islam is still spread by the sword. In some cases it is not, but do you really think you cannot coerce someone to follow a religion? Forget most of human history?

Examples of Islamic violence on the extreme end of Islam: suicide bombings, kidnapping and executions, honor killings, clitoral mutilation (not officially affiliated with Islam but used to control women's sexuality in Middle East), protests against freedom of speech (Danish cartoons of Muhammad), anti-Jewish (opposition to Israel, the only democracy with a free press in the Middle East), holocaust denial, hatred of religion/state separation (they want Shariah law, which calls for human rights abuse like stoning to death or cutting off hands for stealing).

If you oppose all of those forms of control and violence, then count me as an ally, But I'm not about to revise history for any group, religious or otherwise.

Note: Omer: What about separation of religion and state? Still think Islam should be the religion of government authorities? No mention of Shariah law, tsk, tsk...

As for the anti-Jewish, lol. So I forgot, the countries with the highest levels of free press are just a scam by the Jewish people in charge. And what of children's shows from the West Bank see Farfur: (http://youtube.com/watch?v=AY0zE64thJ4

Youtube thumbnail

) that encourage children to become martyrs, throw grenades, and destroy Israel and non-Islamic countries?

I am open to tolerance. I would love to get along. I am glad that you oppose murder. But I am not open to views that call for intolerance against democratic governments or my absolute freedom to live as a non-Muslim. So answer me, what do you think of the separation of your religion from the state?

• 1 decade ago

Question:

How can Islam be called the religion of peace when it was spread by the sword?

Answer:

It is a common complaint among some non-Muslims that Islam would not have millions of adherents all over the world, if it had not been spread by the use of force. The following points will make it clear, that far from being spread by the sword, it was the inherent force of truth, reason and logic that was responsible for the rapid spread of Islam.

1. Islam means peace.

Islam comes from the root word ‘salaam’, which means peace. It also means submitting one’s will to Allah (swt). Thus Islam is a religion of peace, which is acquired by submitting one’s will to the will of the Supreme Creator, Allah (swt).

2. Sometimes force has to be used to maintain peace.

Each and every human being in this world is not in favour of maintaining peace and harmony. There are many, who would disrupt it for their own vested interests. Sometimes force has to be used to maintain peace. It is precisely for this reason that we have the police who use force against criminals and anti-social elements to maintain peace in the country. Islam promotes peace. At the same time, Islam exhorts it followers to fight where there is oppression. The fight against oppression may, at times, require the use of force. In Islam force can only be used to promote peace and justice.

3. Opinion of historian De Lacy O’Leary.

The best reply to the misconception that Islam was spread by the sword is given by the noted historian De Lacy O’Leary in the book "Islam at the cross road" (Page 8):

"History makes it clear however, that the legend of fanatical Muslims sweeping through the world and forcing Islam at the point of the sword upon conquered races is one of the most fantastically absurd myth that historians have ever repeated."

4. Muslims ruled Spain for 800 years.

Muslims ruled Spain for about 800 years. The Muslims in Spain never used the sword to force the people to convert. Later the Christian Crusaders came to Spain and wiped out the Muslims. There was not a single Muslim in Spain who could openly give the adhan, that is the call for prayers.

5. 14 million Arabs are Coptic Christians.

Muslims were the lords of Arabia for 1400 years. For a few years the British ruled, and for a few years the French ruled. Overall, the Muslims ruled Arabia for 1400 years. Yet today, there are 14 million Arabs who are Coptic Christians i.e. Christians since generations. If the Muslims had used the sword there would not have been a single Arab who would have remained a Christian.

6. More than 80% non-Muslims in India.

The Muslims ruled India for about a thousand years. If they wanted, they had the power of converting each and every non-Muslim of India to Islam. Today more than 80% of the population of India are non-Muslims. All these non-Muslim Indians are bearing witness today that Islam was not spread by the sword.

7. Indonesia and Malaysia.

Indonesia is a country that has the maximum number of Muslims in the world. The majority of people in Malaysia are Muslims. May one ask, "Which Muslim army went to Indonesia and Malaysia?"

8. East Coast of Africa.

Similarly, Islam has spread rapidly on the East Coast of Africa. One may again ask, if Islam was spread by the sword, "Which Muslim army went to the East Coast of Africa?"

9. Thomas Carlyle.

The famous historian, Thomas Carlyle, in his book "Heroes and Hero worship", refers to this misconception about the spread of Islam: "The sword indeed, but where will you get your sword? Every new opinion, at its starting is precisely in a minority of one. In one man’s head alone. There it dwells as yet. One man alone of the whole world believes it, there is one man against all men. That he takes a sword and try to propagate with that, will do little for him. You must get your sword! On the whole, a thing will propagate itself as it can."

10. No compulsion in religion.

With which sword was Islam spread? Even if Muslims had it they could not use it to spread Islam because the Qur’an says in the following verse:

"Let there be no compulsion in religion:

Truth stands out clear from error"

[Al-Qur’an 2:256]

11. Sword of the Intellect.

It is the sword of intellect. The sword that conquers the hearts and minds of people. The Qur’an says in Surah Nahl, chapter 16 verse 125:

"Invite (all) to the way of thy Lord

with wisdom and beautiful preaching;

and argue with them in ways that are

best and most gracious."

[Al-Qur’an 16:125]

12. Increase in the world religions from 1934 to 1984.

An article in Reader’s Digest ‘Almanac’, year book 1986, gave the statistics of the increase of percentage of the major religions of the world in half a century from 1934 to 1984. This article also appeared in ‘The Plain Truth’ magazine. At the top was Islam, which increased by 235%, and Christianity had increased only by 47%. May one ask, which war took place in this century which converted millions of people to Islam?

13. Islam is the fastest growing religion in America and Europe.

Today the fastest growing religion in America is Islam. The fastest growing religion in Europe in Islam. Which sword is forcing people in the West to accept Islam in such large numbers?

14. Dr. Joseph Adam Pearson.

Dr. Joseph Adam Pearson rightly says, "People who worry that nuclear weaponry will one day fall in the hands of the Arabs, fail to realize that the Islamic bomb has been dropped already, it fell the day MUHAMMED (pbuh) was born".

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Great post.

• 1 decade ago

Yeah, but the thing is: it's just another blasted religion. Who needs more of them?

CD

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Well,they are certainly making up for lost time with guns and bombs now.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.