When is it "too much" space?

My friend was told to give her man some space... (he's going through a lot) ... and now she feels like she may have given him too much and feels like he doesn't want to talk to her because he hasn't called. He is still having ongoing issues with family and so forth, so she left it to him to initiate contact (not necessarily by his choice, but she didn't want to get in the way)... she just wanted to give him freedom to be a man and handle things on his own... but this is the longest they've gone without talking, so she's getting worried. I told her to call him and just say hello, but she's thinks she'll be intruding. It's been almost a week. What do you think? I can't go into specifics or she'll be upset (sorry).

Favorite Answer

giving him space doesnt mean cutting off total contact. it means being sensitive to what he's dealing with and letting him handle it the way he wants, with support. the with support part is the key. she can still give him space and be supportive. one way to do that is to call him to check in on him. after a week its ok to do that. when she talks to him, have her tell him when she will check in with him next. if he really resists, then she will know he needs more space. most likely he'll be fine with it and then sh will leave it alone until she checks in again. all she is doing now is not being there for him at all. even though her intentions are good her execution is bad and its possible that he has started to think she isnt interested. it sounds like these two actually need to communicate a little better, not necessarily more, just better.

Sometimes when guys go through tough stuff, they don't want to talk. That doesn't mean they don't want to hear from you though. If it takes more than a week, she should at least test him with a little "are you OK," or "miss you" message.

• Rabbit

A week isn't a long time - but I can appreciate that she is worried. It's a hard choice. But perhaps he needs to hear from her if he is having problems.

I agree with you. Tell her to call him and quietly say, "I am thinking about you and I am pulling for you. I just wanted you to know that." The reassurance he feels as a result of this will be incalcuable. You are right. She should call.