Can my insurance company sue me?!?

I have an SR22 filing in the state of Ohio. Last Sept I was in an accident (my fault )hit a young woman. The brakes on the car failed.I stated this to the officer and insurance company. The insurance co declined to have the car examined by a mechanic although the officer said if that was the case I would not be... show more I have an SR22 filing in the state of Ohio. Last Sept I was in an accident (my fault )hit a young woman. The brakes on the car failed.I stated this to the officer and insurance company. The insurance co declined to have the car examined by a mechanic although the officer said if that was the case I would not be liable. Now the insurance company is wanting me to repay them for the loss (they are threatening to sue me). I have no real property or any assests for them to attach liens to. Is this legal? Ive worked really hard to repair my credit, although its not great Im getting there. Im concerned about my credit rating and the long term effects.Is there anything I can do?Any adivce would be appreciated.Thnks.
Update: I was covered at the time of the accident, although I only had liability coverage which is legal in the state of Ohio.
Update 2: For that smart *** thats a top contibutor it wasnt a rear end collision. Two officers saw my car skate through 2 red lights while honking my horn and screaming. I tried to through the emergency brake, force the car into park, even cut it off.THEY NEVER LOOKED AT MY CAR YOU IDIOT.As i stated in the question they... show more For that smart *** thats a top contibutor it wasnt a rear end collision. Two officers saw my car skate through 2 red lights while honking my horn and screaming. I tried to through the emergency brake, force the car into park, even cut it off.THEY NEVER LOOKED AT MY CAR YOU IDIOT.As i stated in the question they declined to do this. They have not even given me notice as to what they are attempting to collect the payment for.Also it is not the other party's insurance, its mine as the question states.