Are you a Gnostic?

To understand Gnosticism, said Hans Jonas, one needs something very much like a musical ear. Such a Gnostic "musical ear" is not come by easily. One person who seemingly possesses it is Professor Clark Emery of the University of Miami. In a small work on William Blake, Emery summarizes twelve points on... show more To understand Gnosticism, said Hans Jonas, one needs something very much like a musical ear. Such a Gnostic "musical ear" is not come by easily. One person who seemingly possesses it is Professor Clark Emery of the University of Miami. In a small work on William Blake, Emery summarizes twelve points on which Gnostics tended to agree. Nowhere in the current literature have I found anything else so concise and accurate in describing the normative characteristics of the Gnostic mythos. Hence I shall present it here as a suggested collection of criteria that one might apply in determining what Gnosticism is. The following characteristics may be considered normative for all Gnostic teachers and groups in the era of classical Gnosticism; thus one who adheres to some or all of them today might properly be called a Gnostic:

The Gnostics posited an original spiritual unity that came to be split into a plurality.
Update: As a result of the precosmic division the universe was created. This was done by a leader possessing inferior spiritual powers and who often resembled the Old Testament Jehovah. A female emanation of God was involved in the cosmic creation (albeit in a much more positive role than the leader). In the... show more As a result of the precosmic division the universe was created. This was done by a leader possessing inferior spiritual powers and who often resembled the Old Testament Jehovah.

A female emanation of God was involved in the cosmic creation (albeit in a much more positive role than the leader).

In the cosmos, space and time have a malevolent character and may be personified as demonic beings separating man from God.

For man, the universe is a vast prison. He is enslaved both by the physical laws of nature and by such moral laws as the Mosaic code.

Mankind may be personified as Adam, who lies in the deep sleep of ignorance, his powers of spiritual self-awareness stupefied by materiality.

Within each natural man is an "inner man," a fallen spark of the divine substance. Since this exists in each man, we have the possibility of awakening from our stupefaction.
What effects the awakening is not obedience, faith, or good works, but knowledge.
Update 2: Before the awakening, men undergo troubled dreams. Man does not attain the knowledge that awakens him from these dreams by cognition but through revelatory experience, and this knowledge is not information but a modification of the sensate being. The awakening (i.e., the salvation) of any individual is a... show more Before the awakening, men undergo troubled dreams.

Man does not attain the knowledge that awakens him from these dreams by cognition but through revelatory experience, and this knowledge is not information but a modification of the sensate being.

The awakening (i.e., the salvation) of any individual is a cosmic event.

Since the effort is to restore the wholeness and unity of the Godhead, active rebellion against the moral law of the Old Testament is enjoined upon every man.
Update 3: I copied all this from:
What Is a Gnostic?
by Stephan A. Hoeller

I wanted to answer a question but found I was out of answers for today.
Update 4: Thank you... your answers are inspired.
Update 5: [Passerby] Thanks for your response. My first experience was similar to the description posted by [single eye] it took a long time to understand what was happening and I was in a fundamentalist congregation at the time. Knowing the Gnostic concept of the Talents or the Prodigal son by revelation is harsh when you... show more [Passerby] Thanks for your response. My first experience was similar to the description posted by [single eye] it took a long time to understand what was happening and I was in a fundamentalist congregation at the time. Knowing the Gnostic concept of the Talents or the Prodigal son by revelation is harsh when you know it’s different than what’s being taught.

I’ve read many Gnostic scriptures the Secret Gospel of John and The Gospel of St Tomas are my favorites. I love that the teachings of Zoroaster are directly referenced in John when describing the Arcons. I am harsh on Christian fundies because I know their hypocrisies and I sympathize with those oppressed by them and I find nothing in the behavior of Jesus [my example] that makes me wish to stop, even then I jump the religion not the believer.
Update 6: [iqfrenzy4] as passerby said the term Gnostic wasn't the term used by the people that believed like us it's what their enemies called them. It will happen that you’ll know without being told. You will know someone’s dark secret that must be reviled, or your child’s dream when they need to be reminded or... show more [iqfrenzy4] as passerby said the term Gnostic wasn't the term used by the people that believed like us it's what their enemies called them. It will happen that you’ll know without being told. You will know someone’s dark secret that must be reviled, or your child’s dream when they need to be reminded or when to skip work to get another job or when to go to Las Vegas to meet your future spouse, all this without skipping work before, or ever traveling to Las Vegas before or after. A knowing that is revelation and scares you to the bone from time to time.
Perhaps Gnostic isn’t the right term but [iqfrenzy4] you shine.
I still feel awakening coming for many. Changing of an age maybe, or perhaps some literal truth to end time prophesy? I don’t know but it’s coming and there are more shiny people all the time :)
Update 7: I like calling myself Gnostic. I embrace the disgrace. :)
Update 8: [crystallinectar, take 2] Gnosticism (from Greek gnosis, knowledge) refers to a diverse religious movement consisting of various belief systems generally united in the teaching that humans are divine souls trapped in a material world created by an imperfect spirit, the demiurge, who is frequently identified with... show more [crystallinectar, take 2] Gnosticism (from Greek gnosis, knowledge) refers to a diverse religious movement consisting of various belief systems generally united in the teaching that humans are divine souls trapped in a material world created by an imperfect spirit, the demiurge, who is frequently identified with the Abrahamic God. In order to free oneself from the inferior material world, one needs gnosis, or esoteric spiritual knowledge available only by inner revelation. Jesus is identified by some Gnostic sects as an embodiment of the Supreme Being who became incarnate to bring gnosis to the Earth.

Gnostics also use more scriptures than just the Bible one of the best is “The Apocryphon of John.” Here’s the link to a complete translation.

http://www.gnosis.org/naghamm/apocjn.htm...

Once understood even the Christian Bible brings a richer deeper understanding than expected.
Update 9: [Raven's Voice] I have so many Wiccan friends in the meat world. I know that Gerald Gardner created Wicca from various traditions with a good bit of Masonic symbology, which came directly and indirectly, from the Gnostic sects. People that don’t know they are in prison don’t fight for liberation. Welcome to... show more [Raven's Voice] I have so many Wiccan friends in the meat world. I know that Gerald Gardner created Wicca from various traditions with a good bit of Masonic symbology, which came directly and indirectly, from the Gnostic sects. People that don’t know they are in prison don’t fight for liberation. Welcome to the matrix.