Christians, help me understand: Why is belief in creationism so extremely important to you?

The Bible is about love, compassion, morality, even salvation. I think most Christians would agree. I don't think anyone would call it a science book, even when it talks about creation, or say Jesus preached about dinosaurs or how old the Earth is. Yet modern day evangelicals preach and argue for belief in... show more The Bible is about love, compassion, morality, even salvation. I think most Christians would agree. I don't think anyone would call it a science book, even when it talks about creation, or say Jesus preached about dinosaurs or how old the Earth is.

Yet modern day evangelicals preach and argue for belief in divine creation often harder than they do even for their core belief in salvation. Look at the questions & answers here. There are many more arguing for divine creation, about the errors and evils of science, and the importance of teaching "Intelligent Design" (which requires belief in God) than there are that talk about salvation and Jesus' love.

Why is belief in creationism so critical to your Christian belief? Why is demonizing science, which put men on the moon and the chips in your computer, so important to you? Why is teaching creationism to all children, even in public schools, and "disproving" evolution, so important to you?

What about Jesus? I'm really curious.