Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Amos:The prophet?

Aside from being a farmer and not a wealthy man.....

what else could be said about Amos?

Favorite Answer

Amos, the third of the minor prophets, was, it is said, of the little town of Tekoa, in the tribe of Judah, about four leagues southward of Jerusalem. There is no good proof, however, that he was a native of this place; but only that he retired thither when he was driven from Beth-el, which was in the kingdom of the ten tribes. It is very probable that he was born within the territories of Israel, and that his mission was directed principally to this kingdom.

Amos answered Amaziah, “I was no prophet, neither was I a prophet’s son; but I was a herdman, and a gatherer of sycamore fruit. And the Lord took me as I followed the flock; and the Lord said unto me, Go, prophesy unto my people Israel.

His date cannot be later than B.C. 808 for he lived in the reigns of Uzziah, king of Judah, and Jeroboam, king of Israel; but his ministry probably took place at an earlier date, perhaps about the middle of Jeroboam's reign. Nothing is known of the time or manner of his death.

Amos was one of the minor prophets. He preached in Israel at the time of King Uzziah. His theme was the warning that Israel would be destroyed as a nation many years before they were carried off by the Assyrian army. unless they repented. But he also put forth the hope that they would eventually be restored. One thing we can learn from Amos is that the prophecies of the Lord's prophets will come to pass because they did.

One famous verse in Amos is: "Surely the Lord GOD will do nothing, but he revealeth his secret unto his servants the prophets".(Amos 3:7)

One of Amos' most famous claims is Amos 7:14, "Amos answered Amaziah, 'I was neither a prophet nor a prophet’s son, but I was a shepherd, and I also took care of sycamore-fig trees.'" While this was often understood to mean that Amos was reluctant to prophesy or that he was poor, scholars today see it as bolstering Amos' claim to be financially independent and not a part of the corrupt religious system of his day. His agricultural holdings as a shepherd and a tender of trees were seen in his day as signs of means, which he used to point out that he was not in the prophetic calling for money.

Amos is a shepherd and a fruit picker from the Judean village of Tekoa when God calls him, even though he lacks an education or a priestly background. Amos' mission was directed to his neighbor to the north, Israel. His messages of impending doom and captivity for the nation because of her sins were largely unpopular and unheeded, however, because not since the days of Solomon have times been so good in Israel. Amos' ministry takes place while Jeroboam II reigns over Israel, and Uzziah reigns over Judah.

Amos (ā´ms) , prophetic book of the Bible. The majority of its oracles are chronologically earlier than those of the Bible's other prophetic books. His activity is dated c.760 The prophet was a shepherd of Tekoa in the southern kingdom of Judah, but he preached in the northern kingdom of Israel under Jeroboam II (c.786—746 ). Israel was at the peak of its political power but was ridden with social injustices. Amos preached especially against hypocritical worship, oppression of the poor, and immorality. Not surprisingly, he was ordered to cease his preaching. The book falls into three parts: God's judgment on various neighboring Gentile nations climaxing with oracles against Judah and Israel, an indictment of Israel, and visions of destruction. The final oracle, an oracle of salvation, is usually regarded as an addition since it presupposes the destruction prophesied in the rest of the book and the restoration of the Jewish state after the exile in the 6th cent. The chief thought of Amos is that worship of God necessarily entails protection of the poor and the weak in society. Not even God's people can hope to escape the wrath of God if the social responsibilities that go with election are neglected.

thanks!

Source(s): columbian encyclopedia

His biggest asset - he was godly. We were placed here to be godly, not wealthy, powerful or famous.