Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenGarden & Landscape · 1 decade ago

How much does grass sod cost per sq foot?

How much does grass sod cost per sq foot for both being installed and for doing it myself? If I do it myself – is it difficult? Thanks in advance for your help. David

Favorite Answer

A lot depends on where you are, and what type of sod you're buying.

In the Sacramento CA area, a homeowner can buy bluegrass fescue sod for about $0.34 a square foot. This is if you pick it up at the sod farm. Sod is quite heavy, and it's a lot of work to load it yourself into your vehicle. Pricing for installed sod depends on how much prep work we have to do to the soil and how far the installation point is from the delivery drop point.

It's not "difficult" per se to install sod. It's just a lot of hauling to get it to the prepared area. Then you're spending the time on your hands and knees to roll out the sod and butt each piece against the previous pieces. You've got to trim pieces to fit at the edges. Then it's highly suggested that you roll over the sod with a weighted roller to ensure that the sod's roots are in good contact with the soil and there are no air pockets under the sod.

Sod is also highly perishable. Many people think they can do their yard in one day without realizing just how much work is involved. So they will buy the total amount of sod needed for the entire yard. But then they cannot get it all installed in the time alloted on a weekend, and the sod dries out and dies before it ever gets installed.

If you're going to do it yourself, I strongly suggest that you break your project into sections and get just a section's worth of sod at a time. If you're getting all of your sod from the same grower, any small differences in the batches of sod will disappear as the sod grows out.

Source(s): I work for a landscape contractor.
  • nocon

Grass Sod Cost

• regula

How Much Does Sod Cost

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): grass sod cost sq foot: https://knowledge.im/?s=grass+sod+cost+sq+foot

Depends on the type you want. In my area you can buy 5 foot square pieces of Marathon 2 for just over 2 dollars a piece, yet St. Austine will cost you 5 dollars for a section about half that size.