Cheapest way to custom build an efficiency apartment sized home?

Follow
  • Follow publicly
  • Follow privately
  • Unfollow
Rather than paying high interest on a mortgage, buying a not-so-maintanance-free wooden home or cheaply built manufactured home, or paying rent on an apartment that doesn't ...show more
Best Answer
  • Jim N answered 7 years ago
Here is a website for a company that specializes in small home plans with a fascinating forum filled with many people and pictures that have built their own small homes including an 18 Year old girl. Whether off the electrical grid, for vacation or retirement or just to bootstrap yourself into a better place in life, a good idea. Imagine a life without a mortgage payment or, build your first home, sell it and and create instant profit. I plan on building a cabin at a lake using some of these ideas. Not every home has to be professionally built and in a subdivision. Nearly everyone built their own home 200 years ago! Good Luck.

http://www.countryplans.com/
  • Rate
  • Comment

Other Answers (3)

Rated Highest
  • Rated Highest
  • Oldest
  • Newest
  • supershrpy answered 4 months ago
    I have actually built a small sized home with countryplans.com

essentially what you want to do is get someone to build the shell for you then finish it yourself... it's very easy if you know the steps. go to byoh.com or maybe .org anyhow good luck!!
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • Dune answered 7 years ago
    Check out the web for kit set homes in you state, they will have all of the data and prices.
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • Amos S answered 7 years ago
    no way I can answer the question in the space allowed.Simple wood frame structure is cheapest.Build in thermal efficiencies and it will be cheap to occupy.Least expensive route is always the tried and true methods.I would research older homes in your area to determine what works best for your climate,then hit the library for building guides.Good Luck.
    P.S. all home supply/lumber yards will quote the entire project based on the plans and list of materials.Delivery will be included.

Source(s):

old guy
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • Sign In 

to add your answer

Who is following this question?

%
    BEST ANSWERS
    Total Answers:
    Points this week:
    Follow