Cheapest way to custom build an efficiency apartment sized home?

Rather than paying high interest on a mortgage, buying a not-so-maintanance-free wooden home or cheaply built manufactured home, or paying rent on an apartment that doesn't translate into owned equity... I would like to know the best options for building an efficiency apartment-sized home for under $25000... show more Rather than paying high interest on a mortgage, buying a not-so-maintanance-free wooden home or cheaply built manufactured home, or paying rent on an apartment that doesn't translate into owned equity...
I would like to know the best options for building an efficiency apartment-sized home for under $25000 (not including land cost) on my own land.

How would I get the materials (IE, cement/bricks/steel) to the land and how much of it can I learn to assemble myself (and, when I can, where can I find guides on how to do it)?

Also, what are the shipping costs and where can I find suppliers? Is building a stronger/purely cement house tricker and, if so, how (also, how does it differ from, say, building a cement pool)?
5 answers