Garage Door Repairs?

My father & I have been working on our double wide garage door. The door & opener is over 10 years old & needs to be replaced but we don't the money. The door got to the point it wouldn't even without taking 2 people about 15 minutes to open or close it. We replaced both side rails with brand new ones, both springs have been replaced in the past 2 years, along with the rollers. We straightened & remounted every bracket. Oiled up the rollers, pulleys, etc using the oiling spray designed for garage doors. All of that did fix the problem of it coming off track, and multiple adjustments got it to open without binding up everytime. It still binds occasionally (about 1 out of every 5 times). However the door seems alot heavier one side now than what it did before, and the door still keeps coming down one side faster than the other & vise versa. If we hook it up to the opener to see what it does, it will go up fine but when it comes down, it goes almost all the way down.

Update:

It will go down to where it is about 1/2 inch from being all the way down & than automatically goes back up. We have played around with the settings on the opener for sensativity & all hoping to fix the problem, no luck though. It does have equal tension on each side & the pulleys are working fine, as are the rollers. We can't figure out the problem for the life of us as everything is like it should be. I do know the door was put up pretty crappy & pretty much jerry rigged to work when we moved in & we already had done alot of work to try & fix it. Other than it not coming off track & binding up everytime thats the only thing we've accomplished. We can open it manually with 2 people without problem aslong as we open it evenly as it still keeps wanting to come down & go up unevenly, even when operating manually. Any ideas what may be wrong & how to fix it. Keep in mind we don't have no money to spend on it & CAN NOT CALL A PROFRESSIONAL OR GET A WHOLE NEW SET UP(LIKE IT TRULY NEEDS).

Update 2:

The springs are equal tension & we have tried the sensitivity & adjustment settings on the opener. The tracks are level. That is the whole problem that we're running in to is me & my father has brainstormed every day over this & worked on it multiple days, we still can't even come up with 1 thing that hasn't already been covered that would cause the problem.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

OK if indeed you have replaced the pulleys and you have equal tension and the same weight springs on both sides then here's what i would try next, run the door by hand and when it gets to the point where there is resistance or when it starts to go crooked stop it right there and check to see if you can spin the rollers, mainly right at the bottom of the radius where the door comes close to the jamb. You can also take and spray some lube on the jamb where the door rubs. The biggest thing is that you are sure the pulleys and springs are good just cause you lubed them doesn't mean there OK, there's a lot of pressure on those pulleys. Good luck.

Source(s): 8 years as a garage door service tech
  • 1 decade ago

It sounds like you don't have the proper springs by door weight. A garage door should be, when having the proper springs, of neutral weight. You should be able to raise the door to any height and let go, and the door won't go down or up. Heaver on one side has to be not enough assist from one of the springs. If the door is a heavy wood door make sure you have the largest spring (probably 170-180lb.) avaiable. If the spring is heaver than necessary you can compensate by not using as much tension. When the door is open the springs should be without tension. As you pull down the door it should start putting tension on the springs. Too much tension and the door will try to go back to open. Not enough and the door will try to close. As I write this I'm thinking of long springs tied to the top end of the rails. If you have the coil springs running along over the door perhaps you haven't put enough tension on the spring. Equal tension doesn't mean enough tension.

Source(s): adjusted many garage doors
  • 4 years ago

Ignoring damaged or malfunctioning garage can prove quite risky, which is why it is important to hire professional garage door repair service providers. We at Garage Door Squad offer reliable and efficient repair services for almost every type of garage door through our well qualified and expert technicians.Watch out this GarageDoorsSquad.

• 6 years ago

If your door is more than a few years old, and has not had any service done on it, you may already be damaging your garage door motor and door, not to mention the noise. Better prevent the damages, before you pay for some. You can ask for garage door services here: http://www.bcgaragedoors.ca/ .

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

If it is not going up and coming down evenly, then the spring tension is unequal. One of the springs may have weakend more than the other over time.

As far as coming back up after getting within a half inch of the ground, the opener should have some sort of adjustment, if it still works.

• 1 decade ago

Does the door have extension springs or tension sprins? What brand name is th edoor opener and does it have safety sensors located near the floor?

Source(s): Chamberlain Liftmaster/Coplay Garage Door Dealer/Installer
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

if it is an old wood door you might try addingsome triangles to the square framing for stability this will keep the door from wobbling be careful not to add too much weight

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

This website may help you

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.