Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthOther - Health · 1 decade ago

What is the best treatment for the pain of Neuropathy?

I have had neuropathy for at least 8 years and the pain appears to be getting more difficult to control. The pain is primarily in my feet and lower legs. I take Lyrica twice a day but have all of the side effects associated with this product. I need help desperately but don't know where to find it. My neurologist has ordered a neuropathy profile on me and has tried several different kinds of medicines, all of which have been totally innefective. Any ideas?

Favorite Answer

Meditation, self-hypnosis (mind control). This sounds wierd, but it works. It is an arduous process, but you can learn.

If you can find a quiet place to lay and close your eyes, do so. Clear your mind of all thoughts, and try to "see" in your minds eye the affected area. Think to yourself "there is no pain". Do this as often as necessary. It does work. It is much better than medicationg. Narcotic pain relievers are just too addictive. I am now trying to get off of them after a number of years of prescribed use. It is more painful to stop taking the pills than the original pain was. Now I am in misery if I do not take Suboxone - a medication used to assist in Opioid Addiction Therapy. It stops the withdrawl. But that has nothing to do with you, except to say PLEASE be careful if you are taking narcotic pain relievers.

1

Hello,

A very effective method I use to cure my neuropathy problems can be found here http://www.goobypls.com/r/rd.asp?gid=569

This program really helped me a lot

Bye

Treatment

The first step is to bring blood glucose levels within the normal range to prevent further nerve damage. Blood glucose monitoring, meal planning, exercise, and oral drugs or insulin injections are needed to control blood glucose levels. Although symptoms may get worse when blood glucose is first brought under control, over time, maintaining lower blood glucose levels helps lessen neuropathic symptoms. Importantly, good blood glucose control may also help prevent or delay the onset of further problems.

Additional treatment depends on the type of nerve problem and symptom, as described in the following sections.

Foot Care

People with neuropathy need to take special care of their feet. The nerves to the feet are the longest in the body and are the ones most often affected by neuropathy. Loss of sensation in the feet means that sores or injuries may not be noticed and may become ulcerated or infected. Circulation problems also increase the risk of foot ulcers.

More than half of all lower limb amputations in the United States occur in people with diabetes—86,000 amputations per year. Doctors estimate that nearly half of the amputations caused by neuropathy and poor circulation could have been prevented by careful foot care. Here are the steps to follow:

Clean your feet daily, using warm—not hot—water and a mild soap. Avoid soaking your feet. Dry them with a soft towel; dry carefully between your toes.

Inspect your feet and toes every day for cuts, blisters, redness, swelling, calluses, or other problems. Use a mirror (laying a mirror on the floor works well) or get help from someone else if you cannot see the bottoms of your feet. Notify your health care provider of any problems.

Moisturize your feet with lotion, but avoid getting it between your toes.

After a bath or shower, file corns and calluses gently with a pumice stone.

Each week or when needed, cut your toenails to the shape of your toes and file the edges with an emery board.

Always wear shoes or slippers to protect your feet from injuries. Prevent skin irritation by wearing thick, soft, seamless socks.

Wear shoes that fit well and allow your toes to move. Break in new shoes gradually by wearing them for only an hour at a time at first.

Before putting your shoes on, look them over carefully and feel the insides with your hand to make sure they have no tears, sharp edges, or objects in them that might injure your feet.

If you need help taking care of your feet, make an appointment to see a foot doctor, also called a podiatrist.

2

Cymbalta, Gabapentin, Lyrica. All will need a Rx to get.