How do you leave old memories behind and start a new with out feeling and remembering the past?

I went back for some closure to my old home where my x husband and I lived for 8 years. I didn't think he was going to be there but he answered the door and was shocked to see me. I just wanted to see the flowers outside that I planted and the trees that I planted years ago. I missed my old place. I... show more I went back for some closure to my old home where my x husband and I lived for 8 years. I didn't think he was going to be there but he answered the door and was shocked to see me. I just wanted to see the flowers outside that I planted and the trees that I planted years ago. I missed my old place. I realized that it wasn't the way I left it almost 2 years ago and that life goes on. It is so hard. How do you go on with life while knowing you have to start a new and leave old memories behind?