Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 1 decade ago

is it bad to keep nursing while being pregnant????

thank you all for your helpfull answer!!

Favorite Answer

KEEP NURSING!!!!!

There is absolutely, positively nothing wrong, risky or unhealthy about nursing while you are pregnant. I am a mommy of 6 and I nursed 5 of my children while being pregnant with another.

However, do not be surprised when a misinformed doctor waves the "no no" finger at you! They may say that nursing stimulates contractions of the uterus (which it does), however, these contractions are no stronger than the contractions you have during an orgasm. Taking a vitamin is always a great idea, especially when you are pregnant, however, taking more of them is not necessary at all. Just eat healthy and drink plenty of fluids. Listen to your appetite. I would say "make sure you are gaining weight well", but I never gained more than 13 pounds in all of my pregnancies and I had wonderful, healthy, good sized baby's! I was very healthy as well.

As you know, breastfeeding is so important for your baby. Do not let anyone tell you that you cannot breastfeed while pregnant. Especially, well meaning (and often misinformed) doctors.

BTW, the Motherlove Herbal Company makes a great tincture for nursing & pregnant mommy's. It's called "More Milk Two". It helps increase your milk supply while you are pregnant and nursing. I have used it with 2 of my pregnancies and it worked very well. Sometimes your supply can dwindle (it did with me) when you are pregnant. When this happened to me (around the 7 month mark of pregnancy), my dr prescribed me Reglan. It worked great too. I was able to continue nursing my son.

Good luck & congratulations! You are an AWESOME mommy!

Source(s): Former community leader for the i-village.com "Pregnant and Nursing" message board & Mommy of 6

Not at all, it's great for Mom & baby to continue, for as long as the pregnancy stays safe. Many people nurse throughout the whole pregnancy, just look into "tandem nursing"....

*What? While answer #2 makes a good point about nurtrition, I wanted to add that a fetus takes 300 calories a day. A nursing child takes 300-500. If you are eating healthy, there is no reason for concern, and for most of us, adding 600-800 extra calories is fairly easy, or not even neccessary, as we are usually taking in a bit over what we need, anyways. Answer #3 is just wrong. It's too bad there are still doctors like that around...

*What? While answer #2 makes a good point about nurtrition, I wanted to add that a fetus takes 300 calories a day. A nursing child takes 300-500. If you are eating healthy, there is no reason for concern, and for most of us, adding 600-800 extra calories is fairly easy, or not even neccessary

as long as you are getting the nutrition and fluids you need and plenty of rest. I did it till I was five months pregnant and then I guess my milk dried up or my son lost interest. But it really is fine. Be sure you are taking a GOOD quality prenatal vitamin from a health food store, not walmart and it's also a good idea to take an omega 3 supplement to help your developing baby's eye and brain development plus it's good for you and the little nursling! Keep up with the fluids and get lots of colorful veggies and lean protien and you should be fine! Good Luck and congrats on your pregnancy!

Source(s): nursed four boys

Nope, you can even nurse 2 babies of different ages, it's called tandem nursing! You might want to do more research on it, but I believe you'll just need to take in more calories and make sure your doctor knows so he can give you a strong enough vitamin!

It isn't bad as long as you are taking in the proper nutrition to support the developing fetus, yourself and milk production. You absolutely need to work out a plan with your doctor, there are calorie concerns and of course vitamin levels to consider, there will surely be blood tests to monitor you.

It is really not advisable to breastfeed while pregnant simply because of the added energy that BOTH takes on the mother. Of course, as always, discuss it with your doctor. Only your doctor know you, your body, your pregnancy, and possibly even your child better than any of us could possibly know. If your doctor tells you to stop breast feeding, then stop. If your doctor tells you to go ahead, but cut back (which I am sure is the minimum your doctor would suggest) then follow your doctors orders.

ABSOULTELY not!!!!! there is nothing wrong with it, perfectly fine. Be prepared that some babies/toddlers will wean when you are pg on their own tho, sometimes the taste or amount of milk changes and they just dont like it anymore.. happened to me anyway..

Source(s): mom x3

My doctor did not recommend it. The growing fetus needs the nourishment and vitamins more than your toddler/baby. Ask your doctor.

Nursing and pregnant?????????????