Using power inverter in a van???

I just bought this ...

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?produc...

I have a 2000 Chevy Venture Van and was wondering if I could use two in the van... like would my van crap out. Im going on a 16 hour trip in the van and want to power things up...sooooo I wanted to know if the van could handle 2 of them...

Best Answer

I don't think the van could handle it. I used a power inverter in a Chevy 2000 suburban and the suburban acted up. One is okay though.

You won't have any problems unless you have by passed the fuse to the lighter plug or you use the power inverters when the motor is not running. Anything that draws voltage from the battery without the voltage being replaced will run the battery down to the point that it won't start the car (just like the headlights or the radio will). Otherwise, if the inverters try to draw enough voltage to harm the car, the fuse will blow. I have used up to four in our vans without issue.

Good luck - Gary

Source(s): Car dealer for many years.

With a standard alternator using both at once is pushing things a bit. I'd look into getting a larger alternator when it comes time to replace your existing one. Even smaller inverters us up a lot of power.

• 9crx0

Yes you can run 2 of them But to be honest i would hook one strait up to the battery and then one in the lighter