What is a jib and why are they cut?

Do I have a jib? Does she have a jib? Are jibs something that you can see if you are watching a porn? Moreover, why do people cut jibs and do they need to hire others to cut their jibs for them? Is that a thriving industry? Do they have a union? "The Brotherhood of United American Jib Cutters of America" Can I apply to be a jib cutter? Should I go back to shcool and get a doctorite in jib cutting? Maybe, that's why I am allways tripping... because in all this time I have never cut my jib or have never had my jib cut? I'd like to see with what you plan on cutting my jib with?

Best Answer

The jib of a sailing ship is a triangular sail set between the foretopmast head and the jib boom. Some ships had more than one jib sail. Each country had its own style of sail and so the nationality of a sailing ship, and a sailor's consequent opinion of it, could be determined from the jib.

So, when someone comments on the 'cut of your jib,' they are referring to your general appearance and demeanor.

(US Navy, retired)

a jib belongs on a boat.................