House electrical problem?

Just tonight the I used the microwave, and half of the electronics in the house went dimm. anything requiring much electricity wont turn on at all, such as the tv and satellite box. after checking the breakers, none were thrown, but the water heater breaker was the one that controlled all the appliances that are... show more Just tonight the I used the microwave, and half of the electronics in the house went dimm. anything requiring much electricity wont turn on at all, such as the tv and satellite box. after checking the breakers, none were thrown, but the water heater breaker was the one that controlled all the appliances that are dim. if I unplug the water heater, nothing on that circuit works at all, as soon as it is plugged in everything is on but dim. If anyone can give me any ideas for what to check to correct this I would appreciate it.
Update: This sounds like a possible solution since we had an electrician replace our old box that used fuses with a breaker box. the reason I agree is that when they replaced it they created a bottle neck between the main pole and the house which both have 200 amp breakers. they put a 50 amp breaker between them. so I... show more This sounds like a possible solution since we had an electrician replace our old box that used fuses with a breaker box. the reason I agree is that when they replaced it they created a bottle neck between the main pole and the house which both have 200 amp breakers. they put a 50 amp breaker between them. so I could see this breaker being the problem. any further insight will be appreciated.
Update 2: new info, I just went outside and opened up the 50 amp circuit breaker box, turned it off and blew all the dust out of it. turned it back on and everything worked like normal. yes the water heater is hard wired, I disconnected the hot line right on the water heater. after turning off the breaker out side and... show more new info, I just went outside and opened up the 50 amp circuit breaker box, turned it off and blew all the dust out of it. turned it back on and everything worked like normal. yes the water heater is hard wired, I disconnected the hot line right on the water heater. after turning off the breaker out side and turning it back on the water heater breaker no longer turns off the appliances it was turning off before. I am so confused.