Was Lewis Carroll on acid trips while making "Alice in Wonderland"? And was Alice on an acid trip too?

I remember when Alice was at the tea party and the caterpillar was smoking pot and therefore they were apperently getting high. There are rumors that Lewis Carroll was on a few acid trips while making the book. He has claimed and said that he made the book up for a little child for their entertainment but I'm not so sure about the drug references.

Is this true?

I'm not entirely sure yet.

Mairy

Favorite Answer

As far as I know, I've never read he was on any acid trip. Like you said, it's a rumor and it's not fair to say something to discredit him and his reputation. In other words, we should let the matter in the professional literary investigation according to concrete/referenced facts. In fact, he was Lecturer of mathematics at Oxford and, thus it's unwise to do so.

I don't know about him taking drugs, but he was a bit of a creep and liked to engage in relationships with VERY young ladies.

Don't think that acid was available in his time.