. asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationFishing · 1 decade ago

What is the difference between a fresh water boat and a saltwater boat?

my friend said he bought a 26 ft freshwater boat. i was wondering what he meant

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

I work in a foundry that manufactures nothing but boat parts. All the structural parts of the boat, the rudder and drive supports are made for salt water. Steel would be great, but it rusts and deteriorates. So, boat parts are made from either brass or manganese-bronze, which NEVER rust. Since salt water is much harsher an environment than fresh, all boats are suitable for fresh or salt. It's difficult to believe, but IF a boat sank, the drive shaft, the shaft supports, the rudder, and the through hull fittings would still be perfectly serviceable a thousand years later. They won't ever rust, cuz they aren't made of steel. (Drive shaft IS steel, but stainless steel.) Edit Edit I should have qualified my answer. I speak of boats up to about 150ft. We don't pour parts for larger craft- the largest we make is only about 400 lb. shaft supports, and the largest rudders are only about 6' long, exclusive of shaft. Even the screws, and nuts and bolts used on boats, are made from stainless steel. Heck, even the bells on boats are made from red brass, and then are made pretty by having the bell chromed. Even the bell will last a thousand years.

• 1 decade ago

Basically when your friend told you he bought a "freshwater" boat he was probably indicating that the boat was used only in fresh water. Boats used in salt water have a tendency to corrode MUCH faster because of the saltwater. So buying a "freshwater" boat he actually has a boat that will, in theory, last longer and have less problems with corrosion and parts wearing out. So buying a "freshwater" boat is a better buy than a boat used in salt water. If you check the prices of boats for sale in the Great Lakes region and , say a salt water area you will find different pricing for the same boats.

• hunter
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

I live here almost in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean ,NL.East Coast Canada ,and besides the materials against corrosion is the shape and length as well as width and depth.Longer larger waves requires length and a V Hull that will disperse water away from the boat and passengers therefore called in older language a clean boat. ie. a dirty boat would be a TRI Hull or even a wrongly shaped V Hull.Most freshwater ponds,lakes have lower waves aprox.4 ft. that are closer to each other and can be driven with a fast short boat ,touching the tops of the waves.This is a couple of things that may help.

Source(s): EXP
  • 1 decade ago

a fresh water boat goes in lakes, and rivers - a saltwater boat is for the ocean and they are generally deeper than freshwater boats, because the waves are usually stronger in the ocean. you can put a pretty flat boat (such as a bass boat) in fresh water - because you don't have to worry about waves crashing over the top and filling the boat with water

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The freshwater boats are smaller than the salt water.

• 1 decade ago

THE BIGGEST DIFFERENCE IS THE CARE OF THE BOAT . FRESH WATER DOES NOT DAMAGE METAL , WHEREAS SALT WATER CAN RUIN MANY METALS. YOU CAN PUT A FRESH WATER BOAT IN SALT WATER BUT YOU MUST DO A VERY GOOD JOB CLEANING AFTER REMOVING IT

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

um.. fresh water have smaller motors and salt has larger one

another thing could be the wieght, fresh water boats are lighter because there is no current, salt water on the other hand,well imagine taking a little fresh water boat out to sea then a big wave came....i guess thats why all the fresh water boats are smaller and lighter even if i was big it would still be light... hope that helps

• jim m
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

water intake and water pump is brass and the engine has brass sleeves for the pistons a fresh water engine does not always have these expensive add on's this helps save the motors from corrosion from the saltwater, the salt water costs alot more hope this gives you some insight and there is more i just can't think of them all , and i hope some one will steep up and tell you

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

look it up on da internet lol a have no idea

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.