Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsBaseball · 1 decade ago

Bernie williams or Larry walker?

Who was a better player?? and who has a better chance of hall of fame

Favorite Answer

thats tough cuz if you go regular season it will be larry walker but , bernie was clutch in the playoffs and at one time held the most postseason hits. played in new york got world series rings. its always up to the voters and they did not think goose gossage was good enough for the hall of fame. you have win 75 percentage of votes that is hard to do, especially if there are good canadates elgible

Walker's a great player, but his stats were inflated by virtue of spending most of his career in Colorado.

Williams has a better chance at the Hall of Fame...

If Walker put up those numbers during the 20s and 30s, he's have made the HOF easy. But the voters today are much more cognizant of the fact that a player's home field can greatly help or hurt his individual stats, and they take this into account when they vote.

The voters also know that the decade of the 1990s was a hitters paradise, especially if you played in Colorado.

As I said, Walker was a great player, but his career was less than 2,000 games, and five all star games in the context of a 17 year career is not a huge total. Thurman Munson was a 7 time all star, in only an 11 year career, and he's never come close to making the HOF, even though he contributed mightily to the resurgence of the Yankees in the Mid-Late 70s.

Williams holds some post-season records (I think he holds the post-season HR record, although that's really tainted imo, because of all the extra rounds they play now... Give Babe Ruth or Mickey Mantle 3 rounds of playoffs, and they would have put the HR record out of sight).

Good point from MrKnowItAll (above) about Goose Gossage, who should have made the HOF a long time ago.

One thing that could hurt Williams' chances (if he doesn't get in early in his eligibility cycle) is the fact that he's a very quiet individual. That has worked against some great players in the past. Flamboyance has helped a few players separate themselves from the rest of the pack (of equally qualified players) and make the HOF.

I'm not sure either of them will be there, but I'd say Williams does have a better shot (also, playing in New York doesn't hurt).

Larry Walker

Larry Walker

Larry Walker is the better player. 5-time all-star, MVP once, 7 Gold Gloves and 5 Silver Sluggers... great clutch performer.

Bernie was a great player too, but he always had a great surrounding cast.

Bernie 5-time all-star, ALCS MVP, 4 Gold gloves one Silver slugger.

I think Larry Walker has a greater chance.

Bernie walker

I like Larry Walker better........but it ain't about who I like.

I think Bernie has achieved more and with one team, although neither will make it in

Bernie Williams was the better player. He actually contributed in the playoffs.

larry walker all the way baby!!!!!!!!!

larry walker duh!!!!!!