Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

letsroll asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

Auto insurance question - this is crazy!!!!?

My husband and I have insurance through a nationally known firm. When my son got his drivers license (he is 17) our insurance doubled (I knew that would happen). He has since then had his license taken away for 6 months. When I called the insurance company to have him dropped from the policy they said there would be no reduction in our premium. I asked why and they said as long as he lives in our home it will stay that way. I said that is crazy, he HAS NO LICENSE!. They said as long as anyone lives in our home and has no auto insurance, they are an automatic risk for us, they may take one of our cars in an emergency situation. I have never heard of this. They said "Oh yes - if I came to live in your house and had no auto insurance, I would be a risk on your policy. I was like - well how would you know if someone lived in our house. Any advice? This is a Virginia policy. Sounds like we are being ripped off. $600 a month is too much for anyone!!

7 Answers

  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    First, you posted in the pets section. Oops. Anyway, I think you are being ripped off. I would change insurance companies asap. That's the best way to send a message "I'm mad as h and I'm not gonna take it any more!" That said, I can only suggest a great company you can only use if you are military, ex-military or related to someone in the military. This company was founded by military people and really goes the extra mile to help members. That's right I said members. When you get the insurance you become a member and actually get a share of the money the company makes. It's called USAA. Find it at

    Check it out and see what they offer.

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    Insurance companies make up their own rules, they can do whatever they want. I ran into the same problem with my daughter, but they allowed me to sign a waiver. This waiver stated that I would never allow my daughter to drive a Vehicle which we owned and that any accident she had would be our responsibility and the insurance would be cancelled.

    Ask your insurance company if there is a waiver you can sign? If not start calling different insurance companies, find out what their policies are on this and if they carry waivers. Change companies. Before you cancel the existing policy make sure you have your new insurance in place and active first. If you do not they will consider this a lapse in insurance and your rates will sky rocket and or cause a black mark and other companies will not insure you. This happened with my home owners insurance.

    Be prepared for a cancellation charge with the existing company.

    Personally, I hate insurance companies.

  • ?
    Lv 4
    5 years ago

    In the state of Nevada (where I handle claims), even though someone is specifically excluded under the insurance policy, the insurance company must provide coverage up to at least the minimum limits. Case law has determined this is the situation, because the injured party is entitled to some benefit. Even if you son has no driver's license, he is still able to get into the car and drive it. The insurance company still has exposure. Sorry, wish it could be a different answer, but if you were the person who was hit by your son, even as an excluded driver, you would be thankful some coverage was there.

  • 1 decade ago

    Call another company for a quote.

    BTW, you placed this question in a Cat category.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

    When you get insurance they ask about licensed drivers, get a quote, and tell only the "licensed drivers", Drop your crappy insurance company!!!!

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    Yeah, call them up and tell them to either take it off, or you will take your business elsewhere..and do it.

    Frig that.

    First time I've heard anything like that.

  • 1 decade ago

    sound like a rip. drop them and tell them your refusing to pay etra if your gonna move from the business (dont be surprise if they ask for a fee) if you have to take them to court then do so...

    PS: this is the cat catergory

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.