MEN & BOYS: Why wear Thong Underwear and/or Swimwear?

I'm seeking to conduct some (very) informal research on the topic and wonder what are some of the many reasons that women and girls wear thong underwear and/or swimwear. I'm seeking serious answers from those with firsthand experience, not a "well they must be..." or "I would... show more I'm seeking to conduct some (very) informal research on the topic and wonder what are some of the many reasons that women and girls wear thong underwear and/or swimwear.

I'm seeking serious answers from those with firsthand experience, not a "well they must be..." or "I would never..." or the like. To assist with demographic classification, also please include age or age range in answers.

(WOMEN & GIRLS: See my other question on the same topic.)
Update: Surveys consistently put the male thong-wearing population at 4%. This means that for every 100 male readers of this question, 4 are likely to be wearing thongs at the time. 4,000 men and boys for every 100,000 male readers. That said, this question should have garnered many answers. Please leave a comment if... show more Surveys consistently put the male thong-wearing population at 4%. This means that for every 100 male readers of this question, 4 are likely to be wearing thongs at the time. 4,000 men and boys for every 100,000 male readers. That said, this question should have garnered many answers.

Please leave a comment if you are in this large group!

REFERENCE: http://www.freshpair.com/in_the_news/the_mail_tribune_20050807.html