WOMEN & GIRLS: Why wear Thong Underwear and/or Swimwear?

I'm seeking to conduct some (very) informal research on the topic and wonder what are some of the many reasons that women and girls wear thong underwear and/or swimwear. I'm seeking serious answers from those with firsthand experience, not a "well they must be..." or "I would... show more I'm seeking to conduct some (very) informal research on the topic and wonder what are some of the many reasons that women and girls wear thong underwear and/or swimwear.

I'm seeking serious answers from those with firsthand experience, not a "well they must be..." or "I would never..." or the like. To assist with demographic classification, also please include age or age range in answers.

(MEN & BOYS: See my other question on the same topic.)
Update: Surveys consistently put the female thong-wearing population at 28%. This means that for every 100 female readers of this question, 28 are likely to be wearing thongs at the time. 2,800 women and girls for every 10,000 female readers. That said, this question should have garnered many answers. Please leave a... show more Surveys consistently put the female thong-wearing population at 28%. This means that for every 100 female readers of this question, 28 are likely to be wearing thongs at the time. 2,800 women and girls for every 10,000 female readers. That said, this question should have garnered many answers.

Please leave a comment if you are in this large group!

REFERENCE: http://www.freshpair.com/in_the_news/the_mail_tribune_20050807.html