Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsBaseball · 1 decade ago

Reggie Jackson and the 1977 NY Yankees?

Do you think Reggie Jackson wanted to start trouble with Thurman Munson when he made the statement about the "straw that stirs the drink"?

Favorite Answer

First of all, Reggie maintains to this day that Ward put those words in his mouth, that he was misquoted. Whether this is this case or not, I don't think Reggie thought of it as starting trouble with Munson or the team when he gave the interview. I don't think he thought about anyone else at all, which was often the case.

That's not to say that he meant them disrespect, but Reggie was always a cocky, big-mouthed dude. He has a big and fragile ego, and was genuinely hurt and surprised when the clubhouse responded to the Sport article so coldly; he was too self-centered to see how his comments had hurt them.

I think "The Bronx is Burning" does a decent job of showing these conflicts and the emotions behind them. I was a grade-schooler in Jersey when the Yanks won it all in 77 and 78, and I never get tired of this story. For those interested in learning more, I recommend Roger Kahn's book "October Men".

Reggie was just arrogant. I dont think he wanted to start trouble with Thurman as much as he wanted to promote himself. I dont think he realized how much Thurman was loved by his team.And the fans of New York. That was a wonderful team. The way it played together is probably the most incredible study of what a team is in history. Reggie needed Thurman to survive in the Bronx. And Thurman didnt need anything. Thurman Munson is what you look for when you define what a Yankee is. Reggie stirs the drink. Thurman IS the drink.

RIP Thurman Munson. 8/2/1979

We Miss You Captain

haha. you've been watching the bronx is burning havent you? lol. i like that show too. i dont think reggie wanted to start trouble with thurman, i just think he was trying to become an over-nite talk of the town in New York. and guess what, it worked. but if you ask reggie he'll deny ever saying that or insist that the reporter took it out of context.

I don't think that Reggie meant to start trouble, but he certainly didn't consider anyone else, or their reaction, when he siad it.

The most fascinating thing about this show is that Reggie has comments at the end. A fascinating look back.

(but, oh, those clothes and hairstyles)

• elias

yes, that show is pretty coo, and now, i think reggie was trying to say that he will help this team, but he said it in the wrong way. thurman munson overreacted, but they still won so oh well.

Obviously not

When u sign with a team, why try and start trouble with the heart of that team?

i like that show too...but i dont think he was trying to cause problems...but doing a interview in a bar was probably a bad idea.i believe he basically got the idea from the straw in his drink.but man,according to the show,he was more cocky than i thought.

OMG... congratulations. a non barry steroids question today... thank you so much questioner...

i am not sure about that... do you have any backround? i remember reggie making that statement, but i thought he was refering to himself... please give some backround, and thanks again for the intelligent baseball question....

i don't think he was why would try to do with the captain back then

I love that show too. And no.