Oxygen "balls" for laundry?

A friend of mine told me that someone invented oxygen-generating balls that you drop into your laundry wash instead of using detergents. He said that the big companies shut the guy up before they got shut down by this invention. And in the last year or so I've noticed a lot of oxygen-focused laundry detergent... show more A friend of mine told me that someone invented oxygen-generating balls that you drop into your laundry wash instead of using detergents. He said that the big companies shut the guy up before they got shut down by this invention. And in the last year or so I've noticed a lot of oxygen-focused laundry detergent ads on tv... Has anyone else heard of this invention or know where I can find info on it?
Update: Ken E - That's funny because my friend said he saw this invention on tv years ago on something like Beyond 2000 or the New Inventors and it was the same show that came out a little later with the story on the guy getting shut down. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm saying we don't have enough... show more Ken E - That's funny because my friend said he saw this invention on tv years ago on something like Beyond 2000 or the New Inventors and it was the same show that came out a little later with the story on the guy getting shut down.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm saying we don't have enough information to draw a conclusion here. Without the details of the actual invention we could be missing some vital points.

Anyone can parrot a website but individuals have a responsibility to weigh up ALL the facts and come to a conscience-weighted conclusion.

I don't trust skepticism because it puts insecurity before common sense, which sabotages our efforts in improving our world.
Update 2: Thank you both for the new information. Both answers together have given me a great idea.